CORTEZ, Colo. — Authorities say a 12-year-old Colorado boy

CORTEZ, Colo. — Authorities say a 12-year-old Colorado boy accidentally shot himself in the leg while playing with a loaded pistol his parents had hidden behind the family Christmas tree.Montezuma County Sheriff Gerald Wallace says the boy was shot in the calf on Monday morning but the injury wasn't serious.Wallace says the parents had left for work but other family members took the boy to a hospital.The sheriff says he won't recommend charges because the parents had left the .22 pistol a reasonable distance from the child.It wasn't clear why the weapon was hidden there. Wallace says the boy was "digging around" when he found it. His father had other weapons locked in a safe.
"Ok so the boy is 12 ( probobaly should have known better) but my question is when will enoug kids get hurt for parents to learn to "put up" their Guns? Would you own a Gun? Would it be in a safe? thanks!

kisleboo

Asked by kisleboo at 3:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was raised around guns, taught at a young age they were not toys. I owed a few in my lifetime for self-defense or hunting purposes. My 13 year old brother passed his gun safety course when he was 11, he impressed his teacher by saying, "Guns kill." He and my family hunt for food, it's the only way to survive come winter. I think parents need to be diligent in keeping guns out of their kids hands, if they can not properly store the weapon and store it UNLOADED, then they shouldn't be keeping it. Teach children to respect the gun, make it clear what it does and NEVER EVER sugar coat it.
    sadchildlessme

Answer by sadchildlessme at 5:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I think that was an irresponsible place for the parents to leave the gun. I have a son around that age and trust me although they may know better they are just too curious for that kind of irresponsibility. But yes I own weapons, but they are never ever left in a place where my children can just get them easily, I can but they can't. Also a fact to consider is if you can get to them quickly if need be, but there are ways to keep them from your children and still be able to get to them. That was parental irresponsibility, I mean come on? Around the Christmas tree? And they didn't think he would get curious?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• we own lots of guns. We are a hunting family. Ours are always locked up and unloaded unless being used. Our children will have gone through hunters safety by the age of 12 and will have respect for firearms.
    Funny that in places like Montana, there are far more guns than other cities and far less accidents. Teaching kids to respect them goes a long way. Proper care and storage goes even further.

Behind the Christmas tree? Really? What moron parents.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:13 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Hhaha i agree, that was what got me!! I have no problem with someone owning Guns, i also have No problem with having to do background checks before owning one LOL, But the fact that they left it behind the Christmas Tree??? Was it to scare him off from peeking at presents?? LOL j/k i just thought that was a very poor choice as parents to leave it in that particular spot... and what gets me even more....is that he had a safe! LOL
    kisleboo

Answer by kisleboo at 3:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Natural selection. That kid was trying to get into trouble and he did. Stupid parenting, stupid kid. Survival of the fittest at its best.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree 100%^
    kisleboo

Answer by kisleboo at 6:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Ha ha ha, survivial of the fittest, indeed! We don't own guns, but if other people want to, they really should keep them safe from the kiddos. I'm sure those parents would have been crying a river if something worse had happened. Let's hope they learn that behind the Christmas tree is a bad place to hide a loaded gun. Besides, where will they hide it next month, or do they just leave the tree up year round? he he
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Why on earth would you ever leave a loaded firearm anywhere? Other than in a locked cabinet? Sorry, but I don't care if he was 14, the parents are responsible for him. My DH says this is like natural selection. The ignorant killing one another with ignorance. Just a shame that a child had to pay the cost on this one.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2009