Is is okay for Baby...

From the time I was born until I was about 9 years old, I had asthma and used an inhaler. At 9 I became old enough to regulate my activity and learn to stay away from things that caused my asthma to flare up, now I no longer use an inhaler. Some of the things that set off an attack when I was small were carpet and pet hair. Now I have a 3.5 month old DS who is so cute and he loves playing on his activity mat. We have carpet in our house and now DS is learning to roll around and sometimes even rolls completely away from his mat. He will end up on the other side of the room. The carpet seems to have no affect on him. I would really like to get a small dog and I am wondering if it would be safe for him! His uncle and father both had problems with pet hair as childern as well and I'm afraid to get a dog because I don't want DS to have a reaction! What do you think? Do you think it would be as harmful if kept outside?

TrystansMom314

Asked by TrystansMom314 at 3:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe wait a while to get a pet, their a lot of work too

but to answer you really wont know until you bring a dog around in your house and let its fur get everywhere
    so again waiting would be best
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i would wait, right now hes not old enough to benifit from a pet and probably waiting until hes old enough to know not to toture the poor thing lol plus you can then let him be around other peoples pets to see if there is a problem, i would also talk to his doctor and see what he says
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 5:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• No harm in waiting a while. If you are just really gun-ho to have a pet the I would consider a 'hypoallergenic' dog. They are dogs that tent to have less/no dander which is what causes most allergies. Bichon, Yorkie, poodle, Lagotto Romagnolo, Airedale or Havanese. There are others to look into as well. Just do some research. Make sure that if you choose to go this route that you buy form an excellent breeder. One with a 'buy back' policy if it doesn't work out. Most good breeders will give you X number of days to return the puppy for a partial or full refund.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• throwing THIS in the mix- google & do your own research... children that are exposed to pet hair/dander before one year (and multiple pets is best) have LESS occurrence of allergies later in life, due to animals. early exposure is best (contrary to popular & and incorrect belief). it is one of the very few allergies that works in reverse.

as PP said about "hypoallergenic" dogs- well, there ARE some breeds that produce LESS dander, but it is simply a myth used to promote those breeds (look into akc ckc history for that info). though larger breeds are rambunctious as puppies, they tend to be more family/pack oriented and therefore better with children. but it really depends on the owner- NOT the dog.

if you have the energy to invest in a dog, go ahead- there is NO reason you should not have one. also keep in mind that just because YOU had asthma, does not mean that your children will.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• You cannot keep a dog outside full time. Winter gets too cold (depending where you live) and summer too hot. It's not fair to the dog.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Why not introduce him to a friend's dog or take him to the pet store and stay for half an hour and play with the animals to see if there's an immediate reaction. Sometimes, the allergy builds so you could have the dog for a few months before you see a reaction. Other considerations are that introducing young can help relieve future allergies, too. And you can always rip up the carpet and put in some laminate hard wood floors which are much easier to clean and then it's easier to control the pet dander. It's up to you. IF you get a dog, keep in mind you may need to get ride of him if it doesn't work out so see if there's someone who would be willing tohelp out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• do not get a dog if you have to keep it outside thats just not right maybe try having a friend or someone bring a dog over and see how he reacts I myself have serious reactions to pet dander and i have a dog and my ds seems to be fine with it it doesnt always go from generation to generation
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2009