what is your thoughts? holidays in schools

Ok this has been bothering me since my oldest daughter started kindergarten three years ago, at christmas time (we are christian and celebrate christmas) she came home from school with books about kwanas and huanakka (i know i didnt spell those right lol) anyhow complete with coming home with dradels and singing huanakka songs, yet they cant teach about christmas, dont get me wrong i have no problem with my children learning about different religions and the holidays they celebrate but why can they teach about one and not the other? are you childrens schools like this and does it bother you?

mommie2twogirls

Asked by mommie2twogirls at 4:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What the f...?I'm a christian too

This cracked me up in the first answer!

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Yup I understand, I went to pick up my 4 year old from pre-school and said," Oh you all have a christmas tree and you decorated it too, how pretty." Well the teacher corrected me and told me it's a " HOLIDAY TREE ", they had to be pollitacally correct.Yet youu are right they can learn all these other songs and happy quanza crap ,what about the way it's always been?Merry chistmas , is pollitically incorrect? What the f...?I'm a christian too, and I have respect for all of us in any religeon,but why is it o.k. one way and not the other,anymore????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• well its kind of like where is the irony in the fact this country pushed to have the words "in god we trust" taken off our money and since then our ecomony just went down the toilet! i mean goodness its not like it said in the christian god we trust or anythng
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 8:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I love my son's school holiday program. I don't believe one religion should be the focus of a school since (hopefully) it is a wonderfully rich in diversity. He learns songs and traditions from the Jewish faith as well as Christian. Then we also celebrate Kwanza in our home to honor his African heritage. In our home we celebrate several holidays from various faiths...not the traditional Christian holidays. One benefit we have from the private school we send our son to is that he also has that same diversity in his school. I greatly appreciate it and think his school does a wonderful job...or at least they do the best they can. It still has a larger percentage of its program devoted to Christian traditions but the majority of students most likely come from traditionally Christian homes. I sent his teachers a holiday gift, not a Christmas gift.  Most schools do not exclude Christian tradition, they include others.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• why dont you call and offer to do a christian lesson.

Anonymous

• like i said dont get me wrong its not that i have a problem with the others being taught, its just that around here they arent allowed to teach about christmas beyond santa and santa is really just what WE have made the holiday
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 2:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2009