Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone else afraid to go to the doctor?

When I was like 8, my mom was in a really bad car accident, and she was in the hospital for 3 months, she had her jaws wired shut, her legs broken, they had to shave her head, because she had to have stitches in it. It was awful. But I thought it was the doctor who dome all that to her. Well, of course now I know it wasnt the doc, but for some reason doctors have scared me since. When I had my son, that was the first time I had been to the doctor as an adult, seriously. I never went back for my 6 week checkup, but my stepmom is a nurse, and she checked my stomach, and stuff. But now Im having severe back pain to where I can almost not stand to get up in the mornings. My son is 18 months old now, but It's hurt since I was young. What can I do about it, without having to go to the doctor?


Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I'm not a fan of doctors. I have no problem taking my children to the doctor but I myself don't like going.

    Do you have someone that you trust like a husband, friend or even your aunt who can go with you to see a doctor? Step one to overcoming a fear is to face it and having someone you trust by your side can help you.

    Good luck.

    Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

    Answer by Cafe Jenn at 1:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • You need to see a doctor, though you may need some counseling first.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • You REALLY don't want to pass your phobia on to your child; get the help you need

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • You really need to get over that fear.  I suggest counseling for that. 

    You could try a chiropractor for your back.  I had the very similar issues and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong (even with x-rays).  So I went to a chiropractor and he discovered my problem and now I don't have any more back pain. 


    Answer by beeky at 6:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • I strongly suggest seeing a chiropractor. You'll get help for your back without having to actually see a doctor-doctor (though chiros are docs, just not general medicine or whatever). And by doing that, it should also help ease your fear of regular medical docs.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2009