Does it seem reasonable to give a nanny Monday - Thursday evenings off including Sundays every week as a routine schedule? She's 30 and her child lives with her mother outside the states

I'm 5 months pregnant, I work and come home at 5 to cook M - F. My nanny leaves at 6. I expect her to help me Friday and Saturday all day including evenings. She has church I understand but she also has a boyfriend. She's an excellent worker but she expects to get at least 2 Saturdays off and two mornings/afternoons off every month. Of course i've made it clear that I need her & I'll pay her. In the past, she's gotten every day off that she's asked for. Recently I gave her a morning off that interfered with my ability to get work done. I also manage my husband's construction company. She wanted last Saturday off to go to another company's Christmas party for construction workers. I needed a break that Saturday. She asked me for that evening off. I said no. She asked my husband for it off after him & I couldn't agree on a set Sat. schedule for her. He gave her the evening off. I proposed to her to take 1 Sat

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i wouldnt have a nanny in the first place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Check your state's labor laws. There are limits to the number of consecutive hours, consecutive days and hours per week that you can legally have your employee work You are probably required to pay her time and 1/2 for every hour over 40 or 45. Again, check the laws in your state; if she checks them first, you can be in a world of trouble.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• If you REALLY like her keep her, if you REALLY trust her keep her, If she is REALLY good with your child/children keep her, if you feel this way for selfish reasons, rethink.It is NOT easy to find a good nanny, if god has blessed you with a GOOD one then thats great.If not then start to look for someone you connect with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Wow it sounds like she works a ton! How is it relevant that her child lives outside the states with her mother? Does that somehow play into how much you feel she should work? Are you trying to imply that she is illegal and thus you don't have to follow common work practices because she can't complain if you make her work too much? Sorry if I have that wrong but it seems like what you are saying.

The bottom line is if you like her and feel safe with her caring for your child and you can afford to pay what she wants she is likely worth her weight in gold.
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 10:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2009