99.4 temp

my sweet baby has been crying all night. He is about to turn one on 12/30. Is he old enough for his back teeth to come in? He wakes up crying and crying any suggestions?

QuintinsMom520

Asked by QuintinsMom520 at 7:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I suppose he is. I always gave mine tylenol for teething. I had asked the peds doc how much was recommended to use of the oragel, because the package said use as recommended, but didn't say what was. The doc said they don't recommend it, that they say to use tylenol. So that's what we used. Is he drooling or wanting to chew on things? That would be a sign he's got teeth coming in. I hope he feels better soon!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It does sound like teething is in action here. Try teething tablets by Hyland's. now if her fever gets over 100* I would take him to the Dr. Now the teething tablets will ease the pain from his teeth growing in. And if he is in pain the tablets will make him sleep. His back teeth should start growing in around the age of 3yrs. old. Good luck! I know they have helped me in the past. ~Robin
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• no- he won't be getting his "2 year molars" for about another 6-12 months. but it could most definitely be teething... i recent;y cut my wisdom teeth, and OMG- i can relate to the poor baby! weird remedy, but works (used it while i was teething) is to take a drop of liquid benadryl and rub it on the gums. it takes down inflammation, which helps ease discomfort! works like a charm!

as far as the temp goes, if her doesn't have diarrhea, vomiting, severe screaming for long periods, it not tugging at his ears, is eating/drinking- NO need to go the Dr office. PERIOD. its not considered a "fever" until it is over 101. when you take a little one to the Dr office when their immune system is compromised (like it is when they are not feeling well, but not TRULY sick) they are a LOT more likely to pick up a viral infection... keep him hydrated- lay off the milk, it makes more mucous- water, watered down juice. he'll be fine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:31 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Infants motrin... tylenol doesn't work for everyone, and it will help to lower his temp and relieve gums at the same time. Id also get him some pedialyte incase the temp has dehydrated him a little :) Good Luck!!
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• nope. no molars yet. where did you take his temp?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Not sure why folks are telling you it can't be molars. Kids can get their first set at 1, right about your child's age. I'd go the Tylenol route (or Motrin, if you prefer). The fever isn't high enough to really worry about but the medicine would help.
    Anonymous

• for the teething and fever give him tylenol. i'm not sure if its every 4 hours or 6, read the bottle. if the fever doesnt go down, or goes above 100 i would be calling the dr.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• He could be getting his 1 year molars... they seem to take longer than the other teeth to come in :(
    You can give Tylenol and Motrin for comfort
    It won't help right now... but get a balic amber teething necklace... they are WONDERFUL!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2009