Any advice on how to make it through the next 15 months?

9 yr old got braces yesterday. Need positive reinforcement. She goes to a small school & one or 2 others have them I think. Food choices & book & online group recommendations are welcome. She likes the pink bands. Hates not being able to eat most of her fav foods! Thank you.

HannahMom2000

Asked by HannahMom2000 at 7:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sorry to say, but she just has to deal with it. I really don't know how to help her. I had braces for 3 years and it was torture not eating all my favorites, but it did get easy. I learned to like other foods and when I got my braces off, I went on a food spree of everything I couldn't eat for 3 years. I can tell you to tell her to NOT eat what she isn't supposed to, it is not fun to snap brackets off your teeth and get yelled at by the ortho. I ate a Now and Later and snapped a bracket off my tooth, including the cement that held the bracket on. I told my dentist that I didn't know how it happened. He said, that he could see the stuff in the bracket and it was either gum or Now and Later. Man, those dentists are smart. I really missed crusty French and Italian bread. I missed biting into an apple. It does take a little bit of time to get used to the restrictions, but it is well worth it. I have perfect teeth now.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• You can reassure her by reminding her - often - how nice her teeth will look. When I was in school and all the girls got their braces off, it was like instant popularity. lol. It actually made me want braces, but I didn't get them until college. :)

You can also try to help her find some other fun foods that she can enjoy, and praise her for taking proper care of her teeth. When I got my braces, the dentist showed me this horrid picture of a kid who didn't brush their teeth properly while having braces, and they had open cavities where their brackets had been. SO GROSS! It scared me into brushing and flossing my teeth every time I ate. Maybe you can pack up a fun little "travel case" for her to take to school.

If she needs help remembering to do it after her snacks/mealtimes - you could always incorporate a sticker chart and have rewards at the end of the week for when she reaches a certain goal.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 7:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• It might also be fun to do a google search of famous people who have had braces, in case she's feeling a little icky about having them.
    MamaSueCongdon