Do you put cartoons on for your 9/10 mo old?

My dd likes Mickey Mouse...so in the mornings when she plays in her saucer we have Mickey Mouse on the tv and she watches, mostly only when they sing, but she does watch and then she loses interest and plays with her toys but will glance at it every now and then. I personally dont think this is bad because she plays with out tv for the rest of the day but this particular cartoon and Backyardigans she seems to like because of the songs. Do you think this is ok? I will never let her become a tv watcher couch potatoe..ever.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter watched videos on VH1 when she was that age lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Have you tried downloading some of the music on your computer? My son loves music and I downloaded a bunch of Sesame Street songs and he listens to the music while he plays instead of having the tv on. I'm not saying the tv is never on - he has 3 older siblings, but I like some type of noise in the house and I figure the music is better for him than the tv.

Answer by missanc at 9:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• We have Comcast and they have educational show that teaches colors, shapes, etc. It's called Baby Boost. They also have a show called Eebie that they liked. My daughter now asked to see Baby Boost and Eebie. Some children will like it some won't. My son won't watch Baby Boost.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• My DS watched cartoons, I think its fine as long as its not spongebob or the cartoons like that. Theyre just pointless.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Heh, my daughter Jossalyn has watched Dora or Spongebob in the morning for a few months now. (She's almost 1.) I leave the TV on all day usually for background noise, I can't stand total quiet. She doesn't pay attention to it when she's not in her high chair. She may give it a quick glance every now and then, but it's not rotting her brain as some people would say it does.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Television is not recommended for children under age 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• yes it is fine. looking at mickey mouse and backyardagains will not hurt her at all.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• who cares whats recommended kids have been watching tv for years and none of them have become mentally challenged from it as long as it's not an all day thing do whatever you want i let my 2 and a half month old son watch seasame street and he loves the pink panther ( he actually laughs at it ) if he watches it and is calm since i cant seem to entertain him the same way he tends to cry when i read to him and nothing else catches his attention the same way. it's fine when he's older and can understand what im doing when i read to him i'll read more and do more with him but untill then an hr or two of tv a day isnt going to hurt him...do what you think is right not what everyone else thinks is right
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• During the day while I am home with our 9 month old baby, the t.v. is never on unless I need to clip his fingernails/toenails because it acts as a good distraction. I don't see the point in having the t.v. on, and we have fun playing, dancing to music, reading books, going for walks, etc. Then again our household also has very few (maybe 2) toys that require batteries. We keep things more simple.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 8:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2009