How long does it take for a belly button to "go in" on a toddler?

I have a 3yr old and her belly button still sticks out a little. Is this normal or do we need to have it done through surgery?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh I know what you mean... its not an outie but it looks ... covered almost?? that's how my son's is.. My husbands said his was like that til he was 10 or something.. .and no one has an outie - all the exact opposite but my son is 2 and its still like that
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Like an outie belly button, or just there's a ridge around it?

Neither need any kind of surgery - it's normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• You childs an Outie, they dont' do surgery for that.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• like half in half out. it looks like half of its flat like mine. one side of it sticks out a little further than the other. it's not 100% out my cousin has an outie and his protruded. her's doesn't do that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i don't really get the question. some belly buttons stick out some go in. why would she need surgery?
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• she has an outie. it will never go into an inie(sp). and no need for surgey is just how her belly button is
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Unless there's a hole (and your doctor would probably have noticed it by now), they don't do anything. The belly button may simply be an "outie". My son is 2 1/2 and his sticks out.
    Anonymous

• I, myself had an outie until a certain age, I wanna say about 10ish? Then it turned into an innie.
    TBSNBubblegum

Answer by TBSNBubblegum at 6:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Most outie belly buttons are a form of an umbilical hernia. They don't do anything for them. Sometimes they reverse themselves and sometimes they don't. The only time they fix it is if it hurts the person.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Thanks
    Anonymous