Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you stand for this. Even if it was a friend?

My husband got laid off so we ended up having to move to another state for work. Well our only choice was to rent from friends. They didn't make us pay a deposit or anything which I appreciate and was very thankful for. Upon moving in she and he said their were some things in the house/apartment that needed to be fixed. Such as the floor in the kitchen the sinks in the bathrooms and their is a tiny whole in the tub that my kids bath in well. We pay $1225 a month for this apartment (3 bed rooms up stairs in house) we have lived here for almost 2 years now and nothing is fixed. We have also had a bug problem for about 6 months and they finally told us to fix it and take it out of the rent....Well sense then they bought a 500,000 beach house and when I asked her about the floors again she said ALL of their money went into the beach house and she is always full of good intentions.. I just let it go...continued..

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • First, the new house has nothing to do with this issue. They can spend their money where they choose.
    Second, did you sign a rental agreement. If not, you are a monthly renter.
    Third, was anything put into writing indicating they would fix the house? You saw the condition the house was in when you rented it. If it was not suitable, you shouldn't have moved in. You can't really complain 2 years later. As for the bugs - depending on what type - you as a renter may be responsible for the removal.
    Last, I suggest telling her that you need to find a less expensive place to live and give notice and ask for the payment reference. Don't be surprised if you don't get one until the house is spotlessly cleaned - since you didn't have to pay any damage deposit.
    Next time, don't rent from friends. It sounds like you are bitter that they purchased another house.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • That wouldn't be tolerated. Ditto gmasboy

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Your friend has a "LEGAL" landlord/tenant obligation to maintain their rental...
    You need to go online and look up in your state/county/city the landlord/tenant laws...
    Friend or no Friend, YOU must tell them that THEY have to fix the issues or you can
    and will put all future rent into escrow until repairs are done...
    Sorry my dh is a landlord... manages 100 units of an apartment complex and it's
    hard not to know the laws...

    Answer by gmasboy at 10:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Just tell her sraight out. Even if you are on lanlord tennant terms she shouldn't have a problem with it. Its not like youre asking her to lie.

    Answer by Shyma at 9:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • yes, your bank should have a record of the checks you've used for payment.

    I would just tell her that you found a nicer place & you want to move out. don't bring up the broken stuff it may hit a soar spot with her. Just tell her you have to move out. You can also chat with your new landlord & tell them that you have to move because of your old landlord not fixing things and that she was a difficult person (just in case). Not ALL landlords to background checks. My Landlord let us move in without a deposit & never did a background check. I guess he just trusted us. Do what you have to do & don't rely on this woman's reference. You just may be able to find an apartment without that reference.


    Answer by samurai_chica at 9:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • I do have records of all my payments but I need to be able to prove that it was for rent...How should I ask her for it? any ideas?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • You just have to ask her and hope she will be honest, also, you should have record of your payments and so should your bank

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • hon i would find another place or move in with family for a while to help out bit i would not stay there not if there doing that did you sign papers with them if not then im not sure

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Well it has been months and still nothing is fixed....And if something does goes wrong they expect heath to fix it..which most of the time he does but, I told him that it was not happening anymore. That we pay too much for rent and it their place as our landlord to fix these things...Well its still not done and I have children so we are planning on moving..Now I need something from her stating that we have paid her rent ON TIME for two years now.. This will be the only thing that gets us into another apartment..How do I go about getting it from her? We are not on speaking terms right now..Just a landlord and tenant relationship as of right now.....I think we have a little reason to be upset and we have the right to move...

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.