Crying it out with a 2 month old?

How do I start the CIO method and what other options are there to getting my son to sleep longer than 1-2 hours at night. His doctor told me to put a spoon of cereal in his bottle but that didn't seem to work...any advice please. I'm a first time mother with no help from anyone so please no bashing i'm just asking for help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he is way to young to let him cry it out.i found that my baby slept better when she was next to me,she will also go to her own bed too.use any white nosie. like a fan running or something
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• The cereal likely contributed to a belly ache.

Don't cry it out. That baby is much too young and needs you 24/7 even if that means you don't get much sleep. Babies do not sleep the way we do. They also must wake more often to eat/pee. Cosleeping can assure that you both get more sleep.

---got to attend to my baby.... sorry....gtg
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It does sound like he might be hungry. I know with my DD I started giving her cereal at 2 months. She was my third child and she cried all the time, the only time she did not cry was if someone was holding her.

Not sure if you can do this, I used a baby sling and carried her almost everywhere. At night she would sleep right beside me and this lasted for the first 6 months or so.

Do you use a pacifier, I know with my oldest child that worked like a charm. We also had a cool air humidifier in his room. I think the noise helped with that as well.

I know it is never easy, don't get to frustrated. Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• 2 months old is way to young to try this method. Your baby cries because he needs to be nurtured, or hungry, or maybe just held to feel and hear your heart beat again. Try wrapping him up with a blanket the way they did in the hospital (like a burrito, tightly) that makes them feel secure. Remember he was inside of you for 9 months in a very tight and secure place.
    Right now you need to pay attention to those cries, you never know what it might be. I know it can be stressful but be patient mom this will get better, good luck!

Answer by older at 9:05 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Take this as advise and not as "bashing";

Do not leave your 2 month old alone to cry - it is a huge SIDS risk.
    Do NOT put cereal in his bottle - it is not safe (Drs that recommend this should have their licences stripped.)

2 month old's have very small stomachs that can only process breast milk or formula - anything else will damage their digestive systems (whether you can see it by theirn reaction or not.)
    Because their stomachs are so small they digest very quickly - so they need to be fed a little, but very frequently.

They wake up every couple of hours to survive, it's not a sleeping problem - it's how they are supposed to do it.
    As your baby gets older, his stomach will grow, and he will be able to sleep longer between feeds.
    Do not rush this process, and do not leave him alone crying.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I sympathize with you - I know it's hard to run on little sleep! But 2 months is young to do a total CIO. Around that age, I would hold mine until they were VERY tired and almost asleep and then I would lay them down. I had a small blankie in their crib that I wore under my shirt during the day so it smelled like me and some type of noise worked (with my oldest it was a classical CD, my 2nd's room was right next to the dryer which I used to turn on while he went to sleep, my youngest has a "heartbeat" bear). They would fuss for a few mins (5-10) and then fall asleep. I didn't have a problem with it as long as they weren't screaming and weren't doing it for long, but you're going to get most people here telling you to cosleep (which I am totally against).

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I also say that this is entirely too early to CIO. He wakes every few hours because that's what babies commonly do. Yes, some do sleep for long stretches, but not all of them do. Even if he's not hungry (which at this young age he very well may be) he wakes for comfort. With newborns and young infants, comfort IS a need. My advice? Comfort and feed your baby when he wakes at night. They're only little for a short time, and before you know it, they won't want to snuggle with you and won't depend entirely on you, and you'll wish he still did. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It's not abnormal for a baby to wake that often... he's much too young to CIO or have rice cereal
    It's just something that you have to deal with and give it time.
    Make sure that you are teaching him to soothe himself to sleep... so not rocking, feeding or any other thing until he's fully asleep. Wait until he's drowsy and then lay him down. He'll learn that when he wakes up that he doesn't NEED a bottle or whatever to go back to sleep, he can just close his eyes. Most babies this age do need to eat though at night a couple of times
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I'm all for CIO but 2 months is WAAAAAAYYYY too young to star. At that age if they are crying they need something. Babies don't sleep through the night. It's part of being a baby. It's a phase and it will pass, you're just going to have to deal with it for now. Maybe get someone else to take over for a night or let you get a nap in but CIO at 2 months is a bad idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Even Ferber recommends waiting until AT LEAST 4-6 months.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2009