how do u deal with a husband who is a picky eater?

my husband is a picky eater (VERY PICKY) the only veggies he will eat is mashed potatoes and green beans. He does not eat fruit... he wont eat any kind of casserole dish or soups. I get so frustrated with him. He is always complaining that there is nothing to eat. I usually fix my son his dinner early (around 5) and just let my husband fend for himself because i've gotten so sick of him coming home and looking at what i've fixed and turning his nose up at it or saying "its too late" or "i had a late lunch." I mean, i am not gonna eat mashed potatoes and green beans everyday. I know his mother would fix it but i'm not going to. I just wonder if he thinks bad of me. Anyone else have this problem?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• sorry treat him like the child he wants to act like. tell him that this is whats for dinner and you have the choice of eating what's fixed or go to bed hungry. he's at the age where if he doesn't like whats fixed that he can call for carry out or delivery. you have one child not two. or he can fix his own meal. good luck

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• 'Tell him that mashed taters and green beans are going to make him fat! and then say on look I think you've gained already! j/k but really who can stand to eat the same thing all the time. I suggest doing what you have been doing.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't allow it. He may be old enough to make his own decissions but look at what that is telling your child. At our house the rule is you must eat at least 5 bites of everything (even if it's 5 peas!). That includes dh & myself and there are some things we both hate but it's worth it to get them to try everything.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• He's a big boy, if he choses to be that pickey, then he can make his own dinner
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:25 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I have the same problem. I make these nice dinners and he is like yuck. I try my hardest to feed my kids different things cause I don't want them to be picky like him. So I make what I want and if he doesn't like it then he doesn't eat it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Let him make his own food- I wouldn't cater to a child like that I'd be damned if I'd cater to a grown man like that. All he wants is mash and greenbeans, tell him all you want is a benz and diamond necklace and nothing else will do, lol....
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Ugh my husband is so picky. If I make something he does not like, he eats a frozen pizza or something else from the freezer. There are a few staples that we both love like tacos and spaghetti, but there is a lot of stuff I like that he doesn't. He is not home for dinner a lot because we works off hours. I'll make something for my daughter and me and he if doesn;t like the left overs he makes something for himself. He wouldn't dare complain about me making something he doesn't like, he knows he is a pain in the ass and I won't make two meals to please him.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Either let him fend for himself or try sneaking other stuff in. Google "the sneaky chef" Her name is Missy Chase Lapine and she has found many creative ways of sneaking healthy veggies and fruits into foods. She puts things like white bean puree into chocolate chip cookies and spinach puree into brownies! They are healthier and it doeasn't change the taste enough for most to notice! I know she also recommends things like apricot puree in mac and cheese! It is the same color so it doesn't show up! You can hide all sorts of stuff in spaghetti sauce! You could either get baby food purees or spend a few hours every weekend making purees and freezing them in ice cube trays and then pulling them out for the recipes! I know she has a few books out with recipes and tips.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 10:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• OMG I thought it was just me. DH has been out of town for a week and came home last night. I fixed a nice dinner and he turned his nose up to it. When the kids left the room I flat out said "Well piss on you, fix a damn peanut butter sandwich you picky asshole. And I'm not fixing dinner again until after Christmas, so you will be eating a lot of peanut butter." It pisses me off because my kids are not picky, if they see me eating it, then they will also. He knows damn well I will beat the crap out of him if he mentions anything about not liking something in front of the kids. He doesn't eat leftovers, anything that had or has a bone in it, chicken, vegetables, doesn't like mixed foods or casseroles with combined ingredients. His mother will cater to him but I'm not his mother and won't cave. If he wants special treatment then he can go live with his mama.

He can live off PB sandwiches, I washed my hands of it.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• And don't look at it like catering to him, everyone in the family will benifit from healthier foods!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 10:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2009