Late breastfeeding?

My son is 2 months old. Is it to late to start breastfeeding. I just want to breast feed at night only that way he isn't being moved around alot for formula feeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is never too late. As long as you have breasts, you can nurse! It will be a lot of work, but you can do it! The most important thing is getting him to breast. Has he ever nursed? If not, or depending on how long it has been since he has nursed, you might have to use an SNS for a while so that he is receiving nutrition while learning and bringing your milk supply up. I have helped several moms to successfully relactate in my office, so if you would like some assistance in getting information, feel free to PM me. Also, find a really good IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) to help you and possible get you an SNS. Most WIC offices employ one that will help you free of charge.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 9:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Its not too late, but it will take some work. I feel like it might be harder to get him to only nurse at specific times, rather then all the time. If he'll latch, put him to breast, and let him suckle. This will help supply. Invest in a supplemental nursing system, where he will be able to receive formula while nursing until your supply is up to par. Is there any reason why you would not want to go to full time nursing? Just curious. Try visiting your local La Leche League, they can also help you. Drink Mothers Milk Tea, eat oatmeal, maybe take fenugreek and blessed thistle, goats rue, these are all known to help supply. And plenty of water. I've got to get off to work, but I applaud you, and wish you the best. Feel free to ask me anything and I'll help you as best I can, or direct you to someone who can help.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Definitely not. Put that child to breast and nurse. Get a good pump and start pumping and use the pumped milk in a supplemental nursing system along with formula until you get your supply up enough. Unfortunately if you are just nursing at night it may be more difficult. check out www.kellymom.com for other great advice or do a google search on relactating.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Not too late.
    Check out this article from LLL -

"I would like to resume breastfeeding after an interruption. How do I relactate?" - http://www.llli.org/FAQ/relactation.html
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• check out kellymom.com although just at night prob wont be enough
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 9:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2009