Mom's of kids with ear tubes

My daughter is 2 1/2 and has a cold. Hear nose is draining clear and so is her ear. Is it normal/expected for the ears to drain (that's the purpose of the tubes right?) or is there a point where that draining is a bad sign?

Thanks for any help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• hmmmm.............I agree. My son never had drainage after having the tubes in. I have heard of children having drainage that is infection, but I would assume it is ok if it's clear. Can you call the ENT to make sure it's ok????
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 9:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It's actually a great sign that her tubes are working. Actually, the fact that the liquid is clear is even better. My 3 year old daughter is on her second set of ear tubes. When she gets an infection (rare now, thank God) the discharge is usually yellow and mustardy. As long as the ears are draining when she has a cold or an ear infection, they are working fine! However, if the leaking persists for a long time...like more than a week, I'd take her to ENT.
    _Jill_

Answer by _Jill_ at 9:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Sorry, mine never got sick again while her tubes were still in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• My son has had tubes several times and he never had any problems while the tubes were in, but the doctor did give me some drops to use in case there ever was any drainage and I was to call him if that happened.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 10:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Thanks guys. Per the pedi, it's typically a sign of an infection, even if it's clear. I guess the tubes help drain downward. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2009