what to do when ur 3 yr old says bad things....plz help

my daughther is 3 i have never had a problem with her until recently. When she doesnt listen i give a warning then a timeout, there have been a handful of times i smack her butt nothing that would hurt her. when i put her in time out or try to correct her she yells things out like stupid girl, stop it u funky, shutup etc.... i dont no what to do to stop her from saying these things i feel im doing something wrong as a mother i just want ther to give respect... im really feeling down about this

dreaminmama

Asked by dreaminmama at 9:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When she says those things at first. Tell her those are not good words to say and hurt Mommy's feelings. Then after a few times. Start asking her what has Mommy said about those words. If she can tell you what you said. She understands you. If not then explain it in a way you think she would understand. The other thing she is hearing these from somewhere else and that needs to be stopped. When you are around her and here someone say those things. Explain to her how those or not nice words to say. If it is someone you know. Explain to them about how we do not use those words because they hurt our feelings. At this age they really imatate what others are saying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Where is she learning these words? Do you and DH use them at home or is she picking them up at daycare? the best way to deal with it is to first teach by example and use nice words yourself. We have noticed our 3 year old have started saying "crap" a lot, so we've tried to stop saying it so much! If she is learning it at daycare you need to have a serious talk with the daycare. That kind of language should never be allowed! Next, when she does say it, put her in time out and tell her those words are not allowed. give her an example of something she can say, like, "I'm upset (sad, angry) mommy!" It is ok if she expresses her feelings in an honest way, but using mean words is never ok. Help to teach her the words she needs to talk about how she is feeling. If she is already in time out when she says it, add a couple more minutes to the time out clock. Each time she says something mean start the time over!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 10:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• #1 Correct the problem right away and then drop the subject. Sternly tell him "thats not nice to say. Please don't say that anymore." If you ask him why he said that or where did he learn it from, Seriously are you going to believe him or be satified with the answer? Ive learned not to ask my children why they did something. There is no satisfying answer. Their answers only seem to irritate me more. my twins are 8 and i also have a DD that is 13.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Also with the amount of bad words they are allowing on TV these days, you really can't help what your child is subject to unless you and your hubby watch cartoons too. Kids need to be told there are words only grown-ups can say. However, I would watch what words you say around the kids. My hubby has a real potty mouth, but my kids absolutely do not curse. Not even by accident!
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• thanks to everyone :)
    dreaminmama

Answer by dreaminmama at 12:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2009