HOW DO I KNOW THE DIFFENCE BETWEEN REAL AND FALSE LABOR?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Almost everyone does. That's why it makes the news and TV when someone doesn't and babies are born in cars on the way to the hospital, ect.

If you don't know the difference, consider yourself lucky. Think about it, if you don't know the difference that means the pain will never be very bad, you wouldn't be throwing up, you wouldn't be pooping a bunch, you wouldn't be having mucous plus, and you wouldn't even have to push for an hour.

Women would envy you.

This is your first baby. There is very, very little chance your labor could be so easy you won't know. That's why almost all women get epidurals.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Great question that most pregnant women ask! Call your Labor and Delivery dept at your hospital. They usually tell you to come in so they can check you.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• my philosophy is not to go in or call L&D and just wait until you know. you might not know if you are in early labor/ false labor or active labor that really will lead to the birth of your baby at first, but you will know in time to get to the hospital or birthing center. generally if your contractions are 4 minutes apart for an hour you are in "real" labor and will be having your baby within the next day or so!

for my it was really obvious when i was in labor because my contrax got so intense that i could think of nothing else and then it was like constant contrax. most women will have really intense contrax when they are in labor so will KNOW but others will not have very intense contrax and will just have to pay attention to how frequently they are coming.

gl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• There will come a time you will know that it is not false labor. But if you are not sure call the labor and delivery. They can help you out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• real labor doesn't go away and gets more intense as the hours go by, false labor usually goes away when laying on your left side after having some water, at least that's what I was told lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• False labor contractions are not supposed to be regular. True labor contractions are supposed to be regular. my contractions never hurt, if it weren't for water breaking and losing a mucus plug, i would not have known that i was in labor for my first two. contractions for me just felt like a little tightening around my belly.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I feel like I became an expert at this because for the last 45 days of my pregnancy I had false labor (mild to extrememly miserable). I constantly had to guess if it was real or not. When it fianlly happened, boy did I know. Even a few hours earlier, the pain and pressure in my lower regions was drastically different. My false labor sessions was VERY regualr, to the point my midwife and doula told me to get packing multiple times. .....

But, it is different for everyone. And going into labor doesnt mean you have to get to the hospital right away (in most cases). Stay at home if you can. The less intreference the better. Besides, you can eat and drink to your hearts content (which a laboring mother needs to do and hospitials seem to forget this) and be in a more peaceful environment.

Dont stress hun. You will know. And when it happens.. relax!~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2009