At what age is it "risky" to get pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The older you get the more risks are involved. There are women in their 40's and 50's who have safe pregnancies and healthy babies but they usually must go to a high risk doctor.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• well i guess it's slightly risky at any age but some risks go up with age.

for one you are more likely to get GD if you are over 25. so some might say it's risky to get pregnant after 25. lol. but the risk is still quite low.

risks for Downs Sydrome is about 1% at 40 and about 25% at 45+, so some might say it's risky at 45.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I really think that if we are made to have periods to a certain time. Then you can have a baby with no problem. Yes everyone is different. But just the same. Someone in there 40's can have a baby with no problems but someone in there 20's can have one complicatoin after another. It all depends on each person and pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• at 38 a lot of pregnancy risks increase.
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree that it depends on the person. It could be more risky for a 18 yo woman that smokes and just had a baby 2 months ago than a 40 yo healthy woman.

Women need to start taking care of themselves at least 3 months before they ttc. The World Health Organization recommends waiting at least 3 years after having a baby before ttc.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• IMO, these risks are changing as more women are waiting longer to have babies. I believe that if you are naturally getting pregnant, and you live a healthy lifestyle, then i think you should be fine! I am 40 and having my 5th child now. I am not the least bit concerned about diabetes, or pre eclampsia, or downs syndrome.
    I also believe that when moms were having more children and starting earlier, their bodies were depleted of necessary nutrients by the time they were 40.
    Dr's believe that high risk is usually after the age of 35 (some at 30), twins, previous health problems during pregnancy, previous premature births...
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• risky as in health to you or the baby?

What i dont understnad is women wanting to have abies in their 40's You will be a grandma when your kid is in highschool....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• OBs consider you a higher risk after age 35. Your fertility does start to decline around that time.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• "risky as in health to you or the baby?

What i dont understnad is women wanting to have abies in their 40's You will be a grandma when your kid is in highschool.... "

LOL yea. My grandpa had a baby when he remarried and was in his mid 50s. He died when she was about 13....so, I think it is something people need to consider...people can die at any age, but as you get older, the risk for certain diseases and illnesses and, death increase
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2009