Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some quick birth certificate advice....

I am not married, and I just had a baby with someone. He isn't the greatest person, but things happend I guess. Anyways, he was pressurring me to give the baby his last name, and so I did. I regretted it the second I did it!!!! Now I am trying to change the lastname, before the hospital sends out the birth certificate info. He had to sign some papers stating that he was the father, and it was supposed to be witnessed by 2 people, but only one person was there, and she didn't even sign it after we did. Any thoughts on how I can get the hospital to change my baby's last name?


Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • I would call the hospital and get the papers back before they send them. If they can't/won't give them - then you do have up to a year to make corrections. If a document is not correctly witnessed and signed then I don't know how it would be deemed valid. Hopefully you can change baby's name to yours.

    Answer by Katt709 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • i would call the hospital. but you may need to wait until it goes into the records and then change it legally.

    Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 10:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Call and ask the hospital if the birth certificate has gone through yet. Tell them you want to change the name and ask what you need to do.

    Answer by Shyma at 10:05 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Get it back if at all possible. It will be so much simplier if you do. It would seem like they would have to give it back to you. If they won't, the state may send you something in the mail asking you if all the info is correct. You may be able to change it then. You may not. If you try to change the last name they may not let you. I was married and the state wouldn't let me give my last name to my baby. My husband filed for divorce the day after my son was born and I didn't know until after I got out of the hospital. Since you aren't married, they may let you change it.

    It's really hard to change a child's name now because of 911. I did change my son's name to my name but after 911 the state changed it back to his birth name. His drivers license has his birth name. He hasn't gone to court to change it again because it costs hundreds of dollars.

    Answer by Gailll at 10:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • If the father won't agree to the name change and is going to pay support there is nothing you can do until the child is 18 or 21. The child is stuck with that name. It is difficult when you child has a different last name. If you end up having 3 kids with 3 different last names it looks bad for you and bad for them. I hope for both of your sakes you are able to change it.

    Answer by Gailll at 10:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • You might need a lawyer now!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • You can change a name on a birth certificate for about up to a year after it's been issued. Beyond that it costs money for a name change.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Call the hospital and let them know the paper was not signed legally., and that you need it back to make corrections.

    Answer by busymom1107 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Gaill, tell your son he can legally change his last name when he gets married and it shouldn't cost anything additional. Equal rights don't you know!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2009