potty trainning an autistic child who is six years old

my brother in laws little girl is autistic and she is six and I was just wondering if any knows if it is possible for her to use the potty.... and do you have any tips that he could try thanks

candace_086

Asked by candace_086 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, it is possible and you are a good sister in law for caring enough to ask. I invite you to go one step further, go to Barnes and Noble and invest in the following books.

1.- Self Help Skills for people with Autism spectrum disorders by Stephen R. Anderson
    2.- Potty training strategies for people in the spectrum ( I can't remember the author)

There are a lot of books out there that can help people in the spectrum improve. The main thing is to view autism as something that can be work at and with visuals you can get points across to almost anybody. The best advice I can give you is to focus on communication, communication is everything. Speech Therapy is a must, your niece/nephew can also benefit from Occupational Therapy.

It is great that your BIL has somebody willing to help. Kudos to you. There are some good groups here for children with special needs, maybe you would like to check them up.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:18 AM on Dec. 18, 2009