How do I keep my 4ry old out of my room

Every night my 4yr old comes in my bed, it's always at the same time between 1-2am. DH and I can't take it any longer, I'm at a loss as to what to do.

HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you take him back to his room or let him stay there?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Maybe a night-light or a stuff animal or something that makes them feel comfortable. You can also tell the child when they come in that they need to sleep in there own bed. I really don't know what to say because we still have our DD coming into bed with us around 3am and I don't mind at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• my 4 yr old does the same thing, doesnt bother me at all, i love to wake up to his cuddles! and he is in his bed until about 2 am so it doesnt get in the way of "married life...:)" next summer my son will be getting a puppy, we will let the puppy sleep with him and expect them to stay in his room. maybe give him company in his room...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Put a baby gate in his doorway, your doorway or the hall.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It was okay for us when our little one was coming at night sometimes but there was a time when it was every night and I was waking up every single time. So I did not get the right amount of sleep. What we did to end that? We would bring him every single time back to his bed and told him that it is not working out anymore. We were consistent and it took us 3 nights to make ourselfes clear and he got the message. There were tears and tantrums as well from him. But like I said: be consistent and really mean it and stay with it. 2 or three nights and it should be okay. The nightlight is very important and a loved stuffed animal. Also I heard from a friend of mine, that she had a babygate before the kidsdoor. So when the kidsdoor opened up the boy was still locked in, but I don't like that idea very much. That is something I think is cruel.
    I would go with consistency and give your 'baby' the message! Good luck and be strong
    JessDoro

Answer by JessDoro at 10:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Start a reward system. If he stays in his bed all night, he gets a small prize. Make a chart. So he sees how good he is doing.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Don't bribe her with rewards. Then you'll teach her that she gets something everytime she's good and that is wrong to teach a child.

Take her back to her room, tell her she needs to sleep in her own bed. If she comes back in, then take her back to her bed without saying anything. Silently take her back everytime she gets out. Eventually she'll realize that things have changed and she needs to stay in her own bed. That's the most effective method I've heard.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Take her back to her own bed. No rewards, just ,keep taking her back to her bed. Also, find out why she is getting upand coming into your room.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2009