she doesn't take herself to the potty

Since Monday my daughter has been peeing on the potty. She has had a few accidents. At least once a day.

I take her every hour and she pees most of the time. Sometimes she doesn't. Sometimes she fights going and I have to trick her to sit on the potty long enough to go.

How often do you think I should take her? She doesn't take herself

funnygirlecu

Asked by funnygirlecu at 10:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take her every hour for now. And before naps, after naps and after meals. She will eventually learn to know when she has to go. She's too little to know that yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree with pp. Take her, eventually she'll take herself.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• is going to be while before she takes herself. you need to take her. my dd takes herself now but before i would toake her os remminded her.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Is she in underwear? When my daughter got to this point, we taught her how to take herself (she was really young, though, so she still needed help with the process, but we showed her how to tell us she needed to go) but walking her through the process ("If you need to potty, say "potty" and take US to the potty"), and then we started only offering a small reward (1 m & m) if she initiated it. We had to remind her that that was the offer, and she did it a few times just for the m & m, but once she fully understood the process, she did it all the time. I should say, too, that we stopped taking her altogether; so she had a lot more accidents for a short while until she figured it out; but they have to do that at some point to understand the need-to-go feeling and to realize they're the ones responsible for getting themselves there. If an accident happens, just quickly move her to the potty and remind her that's where pee goes.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• she is in underwear.
    We started potty training her because she decided she wnated to potty train, by taking her diaper off and saying potty. SHe will be three in febraury
    funnygirlecu

Answer by funnygirlecu at 2:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• She needs to learn to go by herself because if she is in preschool, she will have to be able to go by herself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2009