Do you think it's the parents fault when a kid steals? Esp. about teens.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know, but a parent should be teaching a child right from wrong as they grow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• No, unless they are taught to steel
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I stole as a kid. My dad worked all the time and my step-mom (i felt) favored my brother. I sought out attention. I think the best thing you could do is spend more time (one on one) with your child. Now that I have kids, I am so strict on my 13 year old daughter. Attention is also given. Spending the night at friends houses is very, very limited. Hanging out with friends after school is also restricted. How are her/his grades? When my DD gets anything lower than a C, stuff gets taken away until she gets her grades up. She has found is takes far less time to get to an D or F than it does to get back to a C or above. Explain to your child that if they steal as an adult they will go to jail and will become part of their life. I worked a a Loss Prevention Manager and people who get prosecuted for stealing gets their name put into a data base and it can also go on their credit report. Employers look at that.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• e-mail me if you need more. busymom1107@gmail.com
    busymom1107

• To a degree and dependent on age. There are somethings you just cannot control, no matter how well you set the example. If a ten year old feels the need to steal, you have to ask yourself why. But at 17? You've done what you can to instill values and it's up to them to choose if they follow them or not. But it can be the parents fault if you don't teach the values in the first place. Tough one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• No, me and my sister use to steal as teens, and my mother would have DIED if she knew that. We werent raised that way, but we did it anyway.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I think some kids will try, but hopefully realize that is not the way.
    I explain to my kids stealing is unexceptable.

My daughter who was 9 at the time found a hundred dollar bill, some boy was searching for something in the hall, she said what happen?

He said I lost 100.00-he was upset, my daughter said I found it. She gave it back to him. She already gave it to the principle you can go it, I will go with you.

They were so proud of her and so was I.

Her friends were like you should have kept it, what if it were you??? Maybe baby is a sweetheart-that is exactly what I tell her.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• By their teens years they should know right from wrong. So, if their parents taught them right they should know the difference.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I stole as a teen too but my parents thought I was an angels who wouldn't NEVER do sth like that. They were very present in my life but I mainly stole from them and they just thought they lost money on the street, someone stole it at work etc..
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 11:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Not always. I went through a stage as a preteen where I stole from stores with friends.. not for any other reason than we just did it... call it pure pressure or whatever you want - it was just a stupid thing to do and I didn't do it to be mean and both my parents taught me right from wrong and I was not spoiled or a brat... just a dumb kid,.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2009