Can I jump-start labor safely? (more info inside)

I know you should never rush your body, it's dangerous, I'm not wanting to really. BUT here's the story. I am having to be induced this upcoming Wednesday(23rd.) On the 15th I went to the doctor and was 2 1/2 cm dilated and almost completely effaced(don't have percentage.) He told me it was likely I'd go into labor before the 23rd, but if not we had to induce me then for medical reasons. I've heard such horrible stories about pitocin and inductions, I'd rather go into labor on my own, although I only have a few days for that. Also, I am 38w2d today.
*If you answer this question, please don't be rude to me. I am not trying to do anything to hurt my baby, he's coming out in a few days anyway. I am just trying to avoid something I have heard horrible thigns about.*

MrsBrockHardy

Asked by MrsBrockHardy at 11:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I WAS INDUCED & IT WASN'T BAD AT ALL SO IF THESE THINGS DNT WRK THEN DNT WORRY. BUT U CAN TRY TO DRINK SUM RASPBERRY LEAF TEA, LOTS OF SEX (THE MANS SPERM CONTAINS STUFF THAT INDUCES LABOR) , LOTS OF WALKIN, STIMULATE UR NIPPLES FOR 15 MINS. EVERY HR FOR 3 HRS. I DRANK A WHOLE BOTTLE OF CASTOR OIL LAST TIME & IT DIDNT DO ANYTHING. EAT SPICY FOOD, & THATS ALL I CAN THINK OF FOR NW BUT IF I FINDOUT ANYTHING ELSE I WILL LET U KNO. UPDATE ME IF ANYTHING WORKS, & GOOD LUCK!!
    Mrs.Ferri

Answer by Mrs.Ferri at 11:43 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• walking and sex are the only two 'natural' things I've heard. Don't take Castor Oil or whatever, I heard that can be bad. Good luck! I was induced also, it wasn't fun, but it wasn't too bad.
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• What are the medical reasons for induction (just curious)?

The thing that got me into labor (after one month of being 90% effaced and 4 cm dialated....) was some really good lovin and then a trip to the grocery store..lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• if it truly is a medically necessary induction, talk to your OB about sweeping your membranes a few days before the induction to see if that kick starts labor. google "cochrane collaboration" and find their article on sweeping/stripping membranes. they have some research on safety and effectiveness of the procedure. there are risks and it often doesn't work but imo it would be better than pitocin so... if it does work, great! no pitocin.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I was induced and it did suck. Most stories I hear about it are awful as well, though some arent.

Anything that is not natural for your body puts you and the baby at risk. If you can, avoid it. Or hope that your doctor will start you and keep you on a low does. But being induced before your labor date is always a bad idea.. really. Your body isnt ready, and forcing it doesnt always work as planned either (hence the horror stories), which usually leads to a c-section, which I had as well.

In all honesty, your body will know when its time. If its time, and you try sex, etc.. then it can speed up the process, but if that baby needs more cooking, nothing will work except chemical intervention from a doc.

ALso, NOONE can force you to do something you dont want. Your doctor needs to listen to your fears of induction. If he wont, look for a new doctor. Its never too late.

good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree to the no castor oil. I tried that with my first pregnancy to try and go into labor before my hubby had to leave (he's military) and oh my gosh, it was a nightmare. Hard labor contractions with no progress at all. I kept being sent home in extreme pain because I wasn't dilated. Finally had to be induced and my water broken to progress. Then my son aspirated meconium...the castor oil made him poop during labor.

I would try the sex and walking A LOT. Maybe throw in some spicy foods :)

Just to ease your mind a bit....I had to be induced twice and had an epidural and I had the smoothest deliveries. I know every labor is different but being induced isn't always a bad experience.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 11:40 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• honestly NOTHING will help you go into labor it may seem like it helped like walking and such but really it's just a coincidence the baby comes when baby wants walking isnt going to do anything but tire you out sex normally makes things go longer i didnt do anything and my water broke in bed so you could try those things but it probably wont help hate to break it to you
    Anonymous

• I had to be induced because DS was too big for my pelvis. I ended up going into labor the night before due to all the anxiety... I couldn't sleep, but I couldn't wait for the morning, either. I was wondering how bad it was really going to hurt...

I went in at 445am, having good, strong contractions, that rated at a 92, (there's a scale of strength from 1-100) but wasn't dilating. At 730, Dr. broke my water, put me on the pitocin drip to hustle it up. By 1130am, I still wasn't dilating very fast, so I got an epidural so they could turn the Pitocin up. I didn't feel a thing. I could feel the contractions, but they weren't any worse than when I went in.

When the nurse came in and it was time to deliver, 5am the next morning, I had to ask her if she was sure because my contractions weren't any more painful than when I first went in at 445am the morning before...

Dr told me I could have handled it without the epidural,
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Power walking - no breaks - 45 min to an hour at a time. Bring water! And a friend for encouragement!

I had my son next day. I was 38 weeks. He was a whopping 8 lbs 14oz lol :) Perfectly healthy as well.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I don't know any way to jump start labor, but you are right to be concerned about being induced. However, not all induction methods involve Pitocin. I definitely understand why you want to avoid that.

Has your doctor discussed what type of induction method will be used? I was about 42 weeks with my second child when they decided I needed induced. All that they did was break my water. I managed to go into labor after that on my own. While it was a long labor, it was all natural aside from having my water broken.

With my 3rd baby I was induced with Cervadil. It's a vaginal insert. Again the rest of my delivery was all natural, and that delivery was the easiest and had the quickest recovery.

I'm pregnant again and hoping this baby will come out on time all on his own.
    Anonymous