How do you feel about a mosque being built at ground zero?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/nyregion/09mosque.html

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i worked in that area.. for years.. and there has always been a mosque in that area. There was a mosque on Warrent street which is a few blocks down from the world trade center. It has been there for decades. If im not mistaken it may be the same people who bought into the new spot since the warren street masjid closed not too long ago. I don't have an opinion on whether its a good thing or not..but i can say that there are many many muslims in that area who work in that area or travel through there as they taxi about new yorkers.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i dont see an issue with it. there are alot of muslims here in NY. my co worker is muslim and is a great guy, why shouldnt there be a place of worship for them, i have mine, you have yours, so they shouldnt be anything different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i just came from reading the link. I 'm not familiar with this imam. He is not the imam that was on warren street. however i can agree that muslims want to rebuild new york as much as possible also. We work here, live here and we contribute to the economy as well as all other people. West broadway is not that far from this spot either and apparently there is a mosque there which i didn't know about either. but my understanding is that there are alot of prayer areas designated s
    pecifically for friday prayer .. and that there is a need for mosque who cater to allow all 5 prayers. And i so agree with the last statement...

Mr. El-Gamal agreed. “What happened that day,” he said, “was not Islam.”
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It has replaced a facility on Broadway. The plan is for it to become a large Islamic Cultural Center. The building, was heavily damaged by the 9/11 attacks. The center would be built on what is considered "hallowed ground" by many. Considering the attack was caused by Islamic extremists, I think this is a little innapropriate.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I am not opposed to the building of any houses of worship. I just think the choosing of this particular place is a little inconsiderate.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Aasiyah, did your name used to be Rosa?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• well special... im not sure if it's choosing... if you know anything about New york..property here is highly expensive.. it is limited and this area unfortunately, hasn't been able to sell as good as they thought it would. they are having a very hard time getting people in the area. And .. the price is right for some people.. meaning the muslims don't buy on interest.. they don't mortage.. so they pay for everything cash.. because we are not allowed to pay interest or charge interest... so it might be a economical choice as well and not to mention that there is a great need for space for the muslims who work in Droves in that area. I don't see it as inappropriate.. especially when it wasn't the Muslim community who did this.. it was individuals who are far from the teachings of islam even if you dont' want to believe that. Granted that some folks won't like it but you can't please everyone. Life has moved on in that area.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• and Thousands upon thousands of muslims work there including women who you may or may not know are even muslim. i think that they deserve to have a place of worship. It's not inside Ground Zero. Burlington Coat Factory was not inside the word trade.. it's in the surrounding area.

ANON... NO sorry my name was not rosa
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I am with you on this special I do nopt agree with it and think it is inconsiderate ..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2009