My 8 yr old son is really hard on himself like when he gets in trouble he gets really depressed how can i help him

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What do you mean when he gets in trouble he gets depressed?

If you mean he is depressed when he is punished then stop letting him be punished. Learn other parenting skills. The book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen is really good and should be at your public library.

It's not normal for an 8 year old to be depressed. If you stop doing things to make him depressed and he still gets depressed then he should be evaluated by a child psychiatrist. It could be early signs of problems like bipolar disorder. The sooner psychiatric disorders are diagnosed in children the better they can be treated and it is more likely they can have a more normal life. I have a son with bipolar disorder that was diagnosed at 11. The first signs were there when he was 4.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• My DD is VERY sensitive & gets really upset at herself & feels guilty when i repremand her. I do not spank her either. Words work best. I tell her that i would be a bad mother if i did not teach her how to act properly, & that it is my god given duty to make sure i teach her right from wrong. Although, i say it in a way she can better understand me. I tell her to not feel guilty & just accept the punishment. I tell her she is not a bad girl, she is just learning how to do things right & not wrong. And i tell her that god gave that job for me so i HAVE to do a good job at making sure she behaves herself & listens because it will help her when she is a grown up. Sometimes just talking to them really helps. When i take the time to explain things like this, she tends to do much better.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• he got in trouble at school Tuesday and he started stomping and slamming things on his desk. He's really hard on himself. I have been taking him to a therapist but its not helping. He's an awesome kid and I tell him all the time.
    jewelakin

Answer by jewelakin at 12:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• That's not depressed. That's being mad because he didn't away with something and didn't get to do what HE wanted. Let him be mad, but don't let him stomp and destroy things. He's trying to make you feel bad that he got in trouble. Don't fall for that crap or it will be 10 times worse when he's a teenager.
    Anonymous