Safe school guy Jennings, the pile keeps growing. Do you want your kids reading his book or answering his questionnaire?

The book in question is "Becoming Visible: A reader in gay and lesbian history for high school and college students.

The questionnaire being given at many schools asks questions such as:
If you have never slept with someone of the same sex, how do you know you wouldn't prefer that? Is it possible you merely need a good gay experience?

Most child molesters are heterosexual. Do you consider it safe to expose your children to heterosexuals? Heterosexual teachers particularly?

How can you have a truly satisfying relationship with someone of the opposite sex, given the obvious physical and emotional differences?

Is it possible you are heterosexual because you fear the same sex?

What does this have to do with safety?

The book is available on Amazon.com if you would like to purchase and read it yourself.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Whaaaaaat?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I guess I don't get it. I don't see what this has to do with safety. AND I don't think this is appropriate for HS kids, but college, whatever, they are over 18 and it's not my biz. I doesn't bother me about gay/lesbian questions, but these are odd, VERY odd indeed and this just puzzles me as to what they are getting at here. KWIM?
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• The title of the book seems misleading if the book has any connection to the questionnaire. If the book were really about LGBT history, I'd be all for it. That questionnaire is just ridiculous though and has absolutely nothing to do with safety.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Where is a link?
    Anonymous

• The Harvard Educational Review has devoted this Special Issue to exploring the lives and experiences of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender students and educators. We invite you to read about the realities of life for gay and lesbian teachers and students, including honest and thought-provoking essays by and about gay and lesbian youth; how an openly lesbian teacher has made a difference in her classroom; and students' responses to class lessons that focus on the prejudices that gay and lesbian people suffer. A growing body of knowledge is being developed in gay and lesbian studies, and the Harvard Educational Review is proud to contribute this Special Issue specifically devoted to education.
    Anonymous

That isn't in the book. She said it is a separate questionnaire but gave no credible link

Anonymous

• I'm sure this (as usual) was taken COMPLETELY out of context.... Yes, please do show a link to an article that PROVES (not just claims) this questionnaire is being given at many schools. Because I don't buy it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• There is no link, there is a BOOK.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Please read the entire question. It is about a book! The questions ARE IN THE BOOK.

Here is a link to the Introduction.  Jennings speaks about the need for educating high school students about gay history.

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Visible-Lesbian-History-Students/dp/1555832547/ref=pd_sxp_f_r#reader_1555832547

If you don't want to believe the story, call the Dept of Education.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Becoming Visible:

1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality?

2. When and how did you first decide you were heterosexual?

3. Is it possible heterosexuality is a phase you will grow out of?

4. Is it possible you are heterosexual because you fear the same sex?

5. If you have never slept with someone of the same sex, how do you know you wouldn’t prefer that? Is it possible you merely need a good gay experience?

6. To whom have you disclosed your heterosexuality? How did they react?

7. Heterosexuality isn’t offensive as long as you leave others alone. Why, however, do so many heterosexuals try to seduce others into their orientation?

8. Most child molesters are heterosexual. Do you consider it safe to expose your children to heterosexuals? Heterosexual teachers particularly?

9. Why are heterosexuals so blatant, always making a spectacle of their heterose

Answer by older at 12:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2009