Should I Let My Kids Eat Candy Canes?

I've heard they are so bad for the teeth. I usually let them have the little ones. What are some alternatives to candy canes that you give as treats at Christmas?

Cafe Cynthia

Asked by Cafe Cynthia at 11:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If they are a once in a while treat and not always in their mouths like a pacifier, there is nothing wrong with eating a candy cane. Just be sure to practice good hygiene (brushing/flossing) and make them take a drink now & then while sucking on the candy cane to help wash the sugar from their teeth. What's bad is the sugar constantly being in contact with their teeth, so if you make sure it isn't, let them have their treat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Any candy is bad for teeth. Once in while is fine
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• You can get the suger free variety, while not "good for you" they are less bad for you and I can't tell the difference.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• yeah and with the sugar free your giving them chemical sweetners. Just brush their teeth after its not a big deal. Just dont let them eat them everyday
    Anonymous

• Candy canes are just like any other sugar/candy treat--- they are fine in moderation. Just be sure to brush when they are done.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree with anon :10. Mine get candy canes once or twice a week right now (they get them at school), and I don't really think its hurting their teeth. They brush every night and every morning and that's what matters. Don't do sugar free, chemical sweeteners or even some of the natural sweeteners have been found to have horrible health effects.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Not that it's any less sugary, but I let the kids have organic candy canes :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• if you want to go through the work you could make a popcorn chain and then they could eat that it would still be eating somethign funn off the tree but not somethign so bad for them
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 6:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• As long as they brush their teeth, ti's not worth worrying over
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Let them eat the candycanes, it's part of Christmas. Make sure they brush their teeth after.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2009