Should I Let My Kids Eat Candy Canes?

I've heard they are so bad for the teeth. I usually let them have the little ones. What are some alternatives to candy canes that you give as treats at Christmas?

Cafe Cynthia

Asked by Cafe Cynthia at 11:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Everything now a days is bad for you so the so call "experts" say...
    I have always allowed my children to have candy canes and let's see... both dd's are grown
    kids of their own and are healthy... my 8 yr old gs loves his watermelon flavored ones...
    bought some for his classmates for next week...

If you are comfortable then do it... if you have to ask... then you are doubting yourself.... think on it...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• If you make your kids brush their teeth after every candy cane they eat, they wont want to eat them anymore. I've mastered that one!!!!
    Also, you can make hot chocolate and put broken up candy canes in it and stir it up. They will love it and theres no crunching candy involved. I put candy canes in my coffee. It's yummy!
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• well, in the realm of "bad" no sugar is acceptable, but lets face it- that's not going to happen.... believe it or not, hard candy is BEST for their teeth, as the saliva easily washes it away, and BAKED GOODS are the absolute worst! they stick to your teeth, and give a chance for bacteria, plaque & tartar to form. if you want to give them a treat, go ahead. there is NO issue as long as they brush their teeth daily.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• When my kids were little they had no candy. They didn't really know it existed. When they got older they didn't really want all that much. If you are somewhere and they can't brush, you can carry sugar-free gum for them to chew when they are done for older kids. Drinking water also helps get some of the sugar out of the mouth.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• As long as the kids brush there teeth after they eat it. It should be ok for them to eat one.

Answer by louise2 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Tell them to just suck on them if your main concern is the crunching.
    Anonymous

• there are sugar free varieties of most candies, including candy canes, and also mints, hard candies, chocolates, etc. NOW these contain sugar alcohols, which is a form of sugar, but not nearly as bad as the full force stuff. I am diabetic so have found all the lil treats. walgreens has an excellent selection yr round of sugar free treats. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2009