How can I get my son to pee in tolilet?

My son is 5 yrs old and still does not have good aim. My bathroom stinks no matter how much I clean it. I told him to sit until he learns but he wont he just goes in there and rushes to pee. He doesnt pay attention at all where he squirts.

Asked by kvachon at 6:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I make mine clean it up and if go in the bathroom and find pee then he gets something taken away. Because we had the exact same problem and believe it or not it really has helped

Answer by allisha_mom2B2 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I'm sure you've heard the things about dropping "targets" in the toilet for him to aim at, right?
    You could also instill punishments if he does it on purpose.

Answer by RanaAurora at 6:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Its not that I am punishing him for peeing on the floor I just want to make him more aware that you have to be careful when you are using that bathroom don't just run in there and pee and run out. We also have always had a routiune pee, flush, wash hands and turn out the light and that tends to help him slow down to and focus on aiming

Answer by allisha_mom2B2 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• make it fun through some fruit loops in there n tell him to aim in the hole. My son took off the diaper when he got a bad rash and we told him it was the diaper's fault.

Answer by mgm_5 at 6:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We made my DF's sons clean up their messes. We had to keep a close eye on it but if they missed then they had to clean it. Thats also how we got them to stop having accidents in their pants. Now if we could just master the no peeing the bed feat we'd be good.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 6:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My son sits down on the toilet. It was the way df taught him. They practice standing up when there are urinals to use!!!

Answer by FireyMamacita at 7:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I knew a lady that used Cheerios for her son to aim at. I like the ideas they have about making him clean up his own mess, too.

Answer by CJD62376 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2009