Episiotomy versus no episiotomy...

I had an episiotomy with my son and it was the worst pain I've ever experienced. I would like to avoid one this time if at all possible. Does anybody know any good websites comparing episiotomies with natural tearing?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Im not sure exactly but I dont think its really up to you, i think its the doctors decision whats best. I might be mistaken too though, i tore slightly naturally, i heard episiotomy is worse
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 1:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I never felt a thing. I would rather have clean, smooth wounds than tearing. You have a lot less stiches with an episiotomy, in general.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• just cuz you need one with your first it doensnt mean you will need one with your second. i tore with my first, and didnt tear with my second..
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I found a few good sites just using google. I'm sure you can do the same. It basically said that generally it's best to tear on your own as it follows the weakest past and will heal best (again, in general).
    Anonymous

• Tearing is better. It heals fast and better and if you have another one it stretches better. Verses a tear. It takes longer to heal and tears easiler if you have more children.
    Anonymous

• I personally feel that tearing is better for you. With an episiotomy they always cut you straight down but that isnt always where the extra room is needed. When you tear naturally you tear where the room is needed for baby's head to come out. Also natural wounds heal quicker than unnatural ones. I don't have any links for you right now but with a little research you should be able to find some good sources.
    Anonymous

• it is your decision. i would not have an OB who routinely did episiotomies. i think the book "pushed" has some good info on episiotomy in it. from what i have read tearing naturally is better in like 99.999% of cases. i'd ask an OB/midwife what his/her episiotomy rate was and if it was 10% or higher, i'd find another provider :) jmo
    Anonymous

• this is from the pushed website // http://jenniferblock.com/wordpress/?page_id=10

# episiotomy — This practice of cutting the perineum as the baby’s head crowns to widen the vaginal opening came into vogue in the 1930s, decades before any research determined if it was helpful. By the ’60s, most women were cut. Research began in the 1980s and has continued since, and now we know: routine episiotomy causes deeper tearing, longer and more painful recoveries, sexual pain, and incontinence. This surgical procedure is rarely, if at all, necessary, yet one-third of U.S. women who give birth vaginally are still cut.

cont
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• cont

bad vaginal tears — It’s not uncommon to tear a little when giving birth vaginally for the first time. Ideally you don’t tear at all or you tear superficially and don’t need many stitches, if any. But it is possible to tear badly, the most severe tear extending into the anus. Not good. This is why it’s so important to have a provider who not only swears off episiotomy, but one who will help protect your perineum.

Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Thanks Stefanie83! That's the kind of website I was looking for! =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2009