polygamist gets 33 years, thoughts?

The Texas attorney general's office says a 57-year-old member of a polygamist group has been sentenced to 33 years in prison for the sexual assault of a child.

The office says in a statement that a jury decided Thursday on the punishment for Allan Eugene Keate, the second member of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to be convicted on that charge.

The jury at a court in Eldorado, West Texas, deliberated for under two hours Tuesday before convicting Keate for his "spiritual marriage" to a 15-year-old girl who gave birth at age 16.
The prosecution's case largely relied on records seized from the polygamists' Yearning For Zion Ranch in April 2008, including some that indicated Keate had six wives aged 17 to 49 in 2007

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• good, glad he got 33 years. Hope they find many like him & do the same.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• GOOD. Oh, I'm dancing around my house now, this is awesome news. The more slimeballs they convict from that cult, the better. I have nothing good to say about them or their practices. They are enslaving women and children, and need to be stopped. I'm glad someone is standing up to them.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• That is so ugh,
    Just a FYI Those people are NOT accepted by the Mormons. They do NOT accept polygamist. Those people went off and made the own "part" of the church.
    When I met my husband he explained it all to me about that whole thing.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• What a disgusting old perv, trying to use religion as an excuse to rape young girls... I'm glad he got 33 years, he deserves more.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Aww, that poor man.

NOT.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I read Carolyn Jessop's autobiography about her upbringing and experiences in the FLDS. It was absolutely horrifying, she talked about things that I didn't think REALLY went on in the world. She talked about how her school principal purposely kicked his mentally disabled son until he cried. It's so sad.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• So color me confused but I thought many of you libs thought that 16 yr old hid in Peter Jennings story wasnt reallya kid but old enough to be considered adult and that as long as it was consenting adults you dont care who gets married.  Where does the line break?

Anonymous

• While I think polygamy should be legal, I think it should be allowed BETWEEN CONSENTING ADULTS ONLY. He deserves to go to jail. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• that whole thing happened like 2 hours from me....what got me is that no one find out about it for so long, its not that big of a town KWIM?
    ShortMommytobe

Answer by ShortMommytobe at 1:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Anon :40, me too! If it's okay for men to have sex with boys, and gays to marry, this should be okay as well. Statatory rape laws vary from state to state, in many states this would have been perfectly legal if she was his only wife.
    Anonymous