Cats

So I have two male cats they are brothers they are 1 the names are Oscar and Felix..Well Felix is a pretty good cat..But Oscar has been having a problem with using the bathroom on the floor, he never use to do that before.When he pees on the floor I try and get to it right away and Ive done tried the vinger and stuff that it says could help but he seems to just go right back to that spot and right now I dont have the money to get him fixed..What else is there that I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Nothing really once they do they keep doing it. The may thing would have to replace the carpet when they happens and clean the floor under it really well. There could also be something else wrong with him if he just started to do that. We had a older cat and she never use to do that. All the sudden she did. We found out she had a bladder problem that could not be fixed.
    Anonymous

• He could have a bladder infection, or something of the like.

I had a cat who had a bladder infection & began to pee everywhere, she had to go on meds & eat special food. I would know her bladder would act up when i saw pee in the house. The poor thing could not help it. I would take him to the vet for sure, EXPECIALLY if this is something that is not like him.

ALSO, some cats don't like sharing a litter box. I had lots of cats growing up, my mom used to breed them (not on purpose...lol) and some cats did better in their own litter box. Some of them REFUSED to share a litter box! Guess they didn't want to smell other cats crap...lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i used to have a cat that only peed on dirty clothes. And come to think of it he was male. He later was taken to the vet and they said he had bladder issues.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• There's a difference between peeing, and spraying. If he's spraying (which non-fixed male cats have a tendency to do), there's really not much you can do other than get him fixed. If he's peeing, he might have a UTI or some other bladder problem. Either way though, you'd have to take him to the vet...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• If he doesn't have a medical problem causing him to pee in the floor, then it's because he's not fixed. He'll keep doing it till he's fixed. I had two male cats one time that weren't fixed and they peed and sprayed everywhere. It was disgusting. Before I could get them fixed, they ran off (I still think my ex let them out the door).

One of my cats now can't resist going on a pile of clothes in the floor (they are all fixed) so when I forget to pick up laundry and pee gets on the carpet, I use vinegar and baking soda. I mix vinegar and warm water, spray it on the area, let it sit for awhile and then use a towel to soak it up and dry it as much as possible. Then I put a ton of baking soda on the area and rub it in. I let it sit and dry for a couple of days. Usually that works, if not, then I repeat. Have to make sure the vinegar gets down into the padding and the baking soda is rubbed in really well.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 1:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• some places will do free spy and nuetering for low incomes. do you have 2 litter boxes Do you keep them clean? I have 5 house cats and this pops up occasionaly
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Being fixed helps wonders. I was having a problem with my male cat spraying everywhere. I got him fixed this week for $50, and havent had this problem since. Research your area online for low-cost mobile vet clinics or low-cost spay/neuter clinics.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree with the above, try to find a place or organization that helps with the cost of fixing. The vet should be able to refer you or give you some names. The cat may be spraying, which is not behavior you want and he should be fixed as soon as possible, or he may have an infection or crystals in his urinary tract- extremely painful.

Answer by Bmat at 9:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2009