christians:-One lord, one faith, one baptism

If it says in the bible at Ephesians 4v5 (kjv) One lord, one faith,one baptism. Why is their so many different christian faiths. I am not giving my faith as i dont want people to think i am against any religion, and i quoted the kjv as i thought it would be the most used version, although im not sure about this. I am also curious to how you chose your branch of christianity as they all seem very different to one another, with quite different beleifs albeit beleiving in Jesus.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The verse(s) talk about us all being unified for one God........it goes on to say "one God and the Father of all who is over all and through all and in all. ---- Then, it talks about us each having our own unique part in gods plan....."some apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors, some teachers......for the work of the service, to build up the body of Christ, until we all attain the UNITY OF FAITH........
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• The passage you are quoting speaks of the Universal Christian church where all believers everywhere are united by their faith in one Lord and an outward physical baptism. Even at that time, there were many Christian churches established, all with different approaches and perspectives on Christianity (perhaps not as drastically different as today's denominations but still). All Christian denominations are united today in the same way. Denominational differences are based on politics and on minor philosophical differences. We all claim Jesus as Lord and have faith in his death and resurrection--that is what matters. Denominationalism is about worshipping in a way that you feel comfortable or that you feel God has lead you to. Who is more "right" in their mode of worship and philosophical belief? Well, it doesn't matter and we won't know until we can ask Jesus himself some day :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• who are you to say that faith means religion? If you look up the two words in the dictionary, they are quite different
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 1:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i go to a non denominational church.... i don't consider myself religious even though I pray everyday and study the Bible... i would like to say I strive for spirituality and a closer relationship with the Lord. If asked what religion I am I say none.... i'm just Christian (meaning I believe in Christ as my saviour.... what more label do you need than that)

Religion is of this world..... Jesus says: "My kingdom is not of this world." JOHN 18:36
    We need to get rid of the plague of the spirit of this religious age in which we live. The central point of the kingdom of Jesus Christ is a personal relationship with Him, not public usefulness to others, not being devout to our religion, not fulfilling sacraments, not by going to confession, not by repeating a bunch of rehearsed memorized prayers that after a while don't even mean anything to us
    marchma2b

• We need to get rid of the plague of the spirit of this religious age in which we live. The central point of the kingdom of Jesus Christ is a personal relationship with Him, not public usefulness to others, not being devout to our religion, not fulfilling sacraments, not by going to confession, not by repeating a bunch of rehearsed memorized prayers that after a while don't even mean anything to us
    -------------------------------
    AGREE 100% ~ All this "religion" and "spirituality" takes away from our relationship with our Lord.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Ephesians 4v5 (kjv) One lord, one faith,one baptism

Yes. That's what there is IN GOD'S OWN SIGHT. Only one God, one religion and baptism acceptable to HIM. The task is to find it. And the only way to do that is check every doctrine a denomination espouses against God's own word. I chose my religion, my standards for worship and individuals beliefs on that basis. Plus, Jesus said: “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” (John 13:35) I only found that in one place too.

The Bible is the the key (2Tim 3:16)
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 2:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Because the further Christians get from the truth and put their own spin and interpretation on the teachings of Jesus, the more fractured the faith becomes.
    Anonymous

-------------------------------

_________________________

Yes I agree too. Very well said : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree 100% with November on this one. I know for a fact that she and I see things in different ways, as do Cinnamon-mom and I, yet we are sisters in Christ. We don't have to agree 100% for me to love them as fellow sisters and to pray for them. I learn tons from them, and I hope I have touched their lives in a positive manor as well. Unity does not mean conformity. Someday when we all get to heaven Jesus will be all that matters and all these things that we make into issues God will give us understanding or they just won't matter.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2009