Forgiveness....

I believe in forgiveness, as God as forgiven me and requests that I be just as forgiving of others. I have forgiven some HUGE stuff. I don't mean like someone who owes me money, etc., I mean like rape and basic torture. I did not forgive the person to their face, but between me and God, and I have no notions of putting myself in danger by being around them or anything like that. My question to you is...Is there a limit to what you will forgive? Is there some line at which you would not forgive? Have your feelings in this regard changed over time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have been beat raped and humiliated most of my life. I dont forgive them to their faces either, but I do forgive. I believe if you dont then it torments you even more daily. I forgive and TRY to forget.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• If someone intentionally harmed or killed one of my children, I think Id find that hard to forgive. I couldnt honestly tell you if I would ever forgive them because its not happened(and hopefully never will).

Its one of those, wait and see deals(if it happened).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• MrsOwen...that is exactly why I went through the process of forgiveness with God. It was eating my soul up from the inside out and I had to make a change. I still have lingering problems like nightmares sometimes, but I feel so much better day to day since I have forgiven. -OP
    Anonymous

• I'm not the most talented at actually doing the forgiving - letting go of grudges is weakness that I've been slowly getting better at.

But speaking of the ideal I'd like to get to some day - I think you're about right.

You forgive as in you don't feel a grudge or a desire for revenge...but it doesn't mean you put yourself or loved ones in harms way either.
    Anonymous

• I too have nightmares. My husband has had to wake me up many times because Ill start screaming in my sleep. In honesty, you should maybe see about taking to someone about the things that happened to you. That will help a little bit.
    I talk witha support group in our church.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Forgiveness is NOT for the offender, it is for YOU.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Answered at 2:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 by: christyg
    Forgiveness is NOT for the offender, it is for YOU.

Does God fogive you for his own sake than, or for your sake?

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Mark 11:25 - 26 (King James Version)

25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

Luke 23:34 (King James Version)

34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

I believe it to be clearly for our own benefit. God the Father needs not forgiveness as he is without sin.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the offense. I can forgive, but I will NEVER forget.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Forgiveness - The act of pardoning an offender; ceasing to feel resentment toward him because of his offense and giving up all claim to recompense.

Forgiving others for personal offenses, regardless of the number of times involved, is a Christian requirement (Luke 17:3,4; Ephesians 4:32; Colosians 3:13). But God’s own forgiveness is not extended toward those who REFUSE to forgive others (Mt 6:14, 15). However, Christians are not required to forgive those who practice malicious, willful sin with no repentance (Heb 10:26-31; Ps 139:21, 22).

JES xxx
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 3:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2009