Any home remedies for a cough?

My 4 y/o son is coughing his head off! He has reactive airway disease (asthma). Does anyone have any good/effective home remedies for this? I know I can't give him anything over the counter. Thanks!

zetta816

Asked by zetta816 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• honey and lemon juice- warm
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Get an air purifire, sense he has asthma.

Answer by louise2 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I'd talk to your doctor. Since he has RAD, they should be able to treat it. I seriously doubt any home remedy is going to help given the source of hte problem but I'm no expert.
    Anonymous

• My son has an asthmatic cough in the spring from allergies. The doctor put him on Singulair (prescription)/ It really worked. I dissolved 1 packet - it's like sugar - in chocolate pudding at night. It took a week or so to kick in, but it controlled his cough. He is 4 also.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Mix together 1 tablespoon each of butter, apple cider vinegar, and sugar. Heat up, but not too hot, and mix. Swallow while still warm but not too hot.

In a glass of water mix 2 teaspoons each of honey and apple cider vinegar. Sip as needed to help control cough.

Spread Vicks on the soles of his feet, and put socks on over top.

Delsym (yeah, OTC, but our doctor said to use it regardless of the "rules" - half a 6yo dose for a 4-5 yo, half of that for a 2-3 yo).

Cough drops if he can eat hard candy.

Put a cup of water & a cup of vinegar in a pan, put on the stove, and have him lean over it with a towel "tent" and breathe in the steam.

Sit in the bathroom with the door shut and turn the shower on hot-hot, breathe in the steam, then step outside for a minute & take 10 deep breaths of the cold air (head in freezer if you don't live in a cold climate).
    Anonymous

• If the cough is from asthma, don't fool around with home remedies. Asthma is NOTHING to fool around with. You can run a vaoprizer to help with his coughing while he is sleeping.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009