how easy is it to learn how to drive a standard??

so we're looking to buy a car. we found one kinda cheap in real good condition. only hangup is its a standard (stick shift) never drove a stick, how easy is it to learn?? i already know the basics of what to do and when, its just doing i will need to learn lol tia!

lilianasmom1116

Asked by lilianasmom1116 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've never driven anything other than a stick shift, so to me, it's easy, heh. But my SO doesn't know how to drive one, and the ONE time I let him practice in mine, the grinding noises he made my poor car produce just horrified me. So now he's not allowed to even TOUCH my car anymore, heh. But I think it's easy, push in the clutch, shift gears, let off the clutch while pushing in the gas. Easy as pie. I think you just need to get used to not doing either one of those things too fast... But with some practice, you should be okay. Funny thing, back in Holland (where I'm from), if you take your driver's test in an automatic, you're not even allowed to drive a stick shift, heh. If you take it in a stick shift, you can drive both...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I haven't in many years but I thought it was not difficult and really liked it! I had 2 cars that were a stick shft. even my first.. I always felt like a race car driver!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• lol chefjen! hubby LOVES nascar, so i know when he drives he wil be a race car driver lol!!
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Very easy. It is all about ballance. A little gas and a little clutch. You can do it. They are geat on gas!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• The hardest part is the easing off the clutch & stepping on the gas from a full stop to going - you can practice that in a parking lot so you don't interrupt traffic.

After you master that, the rest is pretty easy, and just takes some practice. It is a good idea to learn on a cheap car because you don't feel so bad about beating up the transmission a little bit as you learn.

Good luck - and don't be afraid. Once you get the hang of it stick shifts give a really fun driving sensation and connection to the road,
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I cannot for the life of me learn how to drive a stick! My mom tried to teach me in her boyfriends truck and I left a big hole in our gravel driveway. Then my SO tried to teach me and like Anouck's SO, the grinding noises weren't pretty. I was laughing because I couldn't believe I was doing that and my SO was looking at me with this mean look and he tells me "It's not funny." He takes it very seriously i guess that I don't know how to drive stick. Anouck could you post some more pointers?
    Anonymous