When did you tell people you were pregnant?

How far along were you when you told people? I am debating if I should tell people now (at 6 weeks) or wait until 12 weeks. I've heard a lot of people say they wait until the second trimester in case they miscarry but I kind of feel like why not tell people sooner because if miscarriage does happen you aren't going through it alone. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• that's basically what i've read on pregnancy sites. tell the people you would want to know you miscarried now and wait to tell the people you wouldn't want to know. like probably you would tell your mom if you had a miscarriage so might as well tell her you're pregnant? but maybe you don't want to tell your coworkers until later on. :)

i told my family around 7 weeks and my coworkers around 9 weeks...because i was vomiting everyday...
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I told my mom as soon as i found out at 6 weeks. A few other family members were informed over the next few weeks, and then by 12 weeks I let everyone know. That's the thing, if you do miscarry people are going to ask, "How are you doing with the pregnancy, and you're gonna have to tell them you miscarried. That's not a BAD thing as long as you don't mind. It's really up to you!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• With my first, my family found out the day we tested. I was going to wait to tell my work, but my MIL sent flowers after my first appointment and the whole office found out. With this baby, we were going to wait to tell people at Christmas, but my husband spilled the beans a little earlier so now they all know too. I ended up telling everyone at work when I was almost 6 weeks pregnant. We have a close knit office, so it was ok.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 1:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. Tell people close to you now if you're ready, wait to tell people like coworkers. I miscarried my last one, and I had already told ppl at work. I miscarried a week after I told everyone. I was so hard to turn around and tell them I lost the baby, or to have people who weren't at work for a while come back and ask how things were. I felt like a failure. I would suggest waiting telling everyone else until after the 10-12 week "safe" period. That's when the docs say your chance for miscarriage drops.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• With the first 2 I told everyone right away and got a lot of negative feedback. So with #3 I kept it mostly to myself, told certain people at around 12 weeks (because that is when it came up) and other people (like my dad and brother) I didn't tell at all. With #4 I told my neighbors and friends basically right away (we had just moved there). My husband's family found out at about 16 weeks and I never told me dad or brother. My dad found out the day after she was born because he just happened to call me.
    With my 5th pregnancy I was debating when to tell people in my real life and then at 12 weeks I miscarried. Now I'm pregnant again, about 9 weeks, and going to wait until I'm at least 12 weeks, probably longer before I tell anyone. The only people in my real life that knew last time were me, my husband, my best friend and my dad found out the day I miscarried. My kids never knew.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• With my first pregnancy we told everyone as soon as I got the positive! This time around we waited until 12 weeks as I had 2 m/c after my daughter and we got tired of telling everyone what happened. So we waited which was very hard but I am happy we did. Its a personal choice...with the holidays coming you could surprise everyone on Christmas morning or on New Years..that would be a special way to ring in the new year. Good luck
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• With all 4 of mine I told everyone right away. I did try to wait a ew weeks to tell my Dad with our second since he wasn't too happy about our first b/c we'd only been together a few months and I was 19, but when I told him he was really happy for us. With our 4th he'd been talking to his wife wondering when we were going to have another and the next day I called and told him I was pregnant. I was never good with secrets. Before I got pregnant with my 4th I wasn't planning on telling anyone for a while but as soon as I finished telling DH I was on the phone with my mom, dad and sisters.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• We knew 11 days after conception. I think we were able to wait about 2 hours before we told our best friends. Then like 4 days to SO's parents bc he's such a blabber mouth!!! We waited 2 more weeks to tell my folks bc they are a little negative at times.

But now, I'm starting to show and I haven't really made a big announcement. Our families and close friends know. We kind of let it trickle down the gossip chain.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2009