7 yo and started her period

It seems unusual that a 7 yo would start her period, doesn't it? I mean, it just seems early. Is it just me?

Meagan319

Asked by Meagan319 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They are finding girls are getting the period and breasts earlier. Due to the hormons they put in animals to get them to grow faster and bigger. So the norm know of days is around 8 yrs old.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It is also noraml if it runs in your family for early periods. My sister and I got our at 10 and 11 but that is normal in our family dating back to the 1800s . Every woman in our family gets it early
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Some girls do, it's called Early puberty.
    Anonymous

• Oh gosh. Good luck with that!
    Anonymous

• PP is right, due to the hormones in our food the normal age has dropped over the years & girls are starting as early as 2nd grade now rather than jr high school.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• By the way, that also means it is essential to talk about other puberty issues this young as well, & yes, that includes sexual urges & feelings...because she'll be thinking them.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Many girls are starting earlier than they used to, but it's still not the norm. I would call the pediatrician and ask if you should be concerned or if your daughter should be checked out for any related problems.
    Anonymous

• Oh my gosh. I'm sorry. My mom started when she was 10. I thought that was young but 7. Wow!
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 2:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Wow... I would be calling her pediatrician.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• also the fact that we get more nutrition now than humans ever have is causing women's hormones to kick in bc our brain's think that healthy bodies are ready for procreation. obviously not!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2009