Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my husband's car my car?

It's kind of embarrassing since I'm so old but I'm barely going to get my driver's license. One of the requirements is proof of registration and liability insurance if I own a car. My husband got the car before we were married, my name is not on the title, and I'm not on the insurance (since I have no license to drive). Do I "own" it and need these things because we're married? The car is insured under his name. So is that all I need?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (10)
  • I dont think you need those things. You technically dont own a car. You should make sure you have registration and insurance in the car you are going to be using for the test, but it does not need to be in your name. Once you get your license, you can get on the insurance.

    Answer by serioussifL at 2:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • All you need is prof that the car is owned. Your husbands car will be fine. When I got my DL I used my grandmothers car and it worked just fine.

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • I know in PA when I went which was 9 years ago that you need the owner to be with you so they can show that its their car that you are using and everything is valid. Usually you cant really have a car in your name if you dont have a license bc of them thinking that you are going to drive it without your license.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • no its not enough, hes got to add you to his insurance and technically if yall are married, its your car too.

    Answer by Shyma at 2:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Depending on your state, I would think that if you are going to be driving, you have to be insured and a driver on his insurance policy. You don't need to be on the registration, just be able to prove that the car you are/will be driving is registered. For instance, my husband and I both have cars that we purchased prior to marriage. We are both listed as drivers for each other's cars on our car insurance even though neither of us is on the other's registration.

    Answer by acollins09 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • since your name is not on the title and technically you dont "own" the car, i wouldnt see why you would need those things. but when you go take your drving test, im sure they would ask to see insurance for the car, even though its not in your name. you might as well atleast have it with you :)

    Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Well, you need to be insured on the vehicle to use it for your test to get your license. And all licensed drivers should carry insurance whether they drive or not because when you do go to drive you and want to get insurance it will be expensive due to lapse of coverage.

    Get on his insurance.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • your name has to be on the insurance card

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • I believe your name has to be on the insurance card. Call the insurance company and explain it to them. You'll likely have to have them print a card with your name on it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Your name at least needs to be on the policy, it takes just a few minutes to call and do that - I did it recently. As for the proof of insurance and registration, that's something that should be in the car regardless.

    Answer by SandraB383 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.