Want a clean room from 7 year old boy

I keep asking myself for a while now...is it to much to ask for a clean room from a 7 year old BOY? That he is cleaning it ALONE already?

JessDoro

Asked by JessDoro at 2:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You have to drop in often and say
    "Okay, now I want you to clean up all the Lego's"
    "Now you need to clean up all the cars"
    "Great job! Now you need to clean up all the Lincoln Logs"
    "Looks good, but now you need to make your bed"
    Etc, etc, etc.

He needs guidance. They get distracted and kids don't see the "mess" that we see.
    Anonymous

• good luck :)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 2:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I wish I could help you... I got lucky with kids that love to clean. My 6y/o comes home from school, cleans his room, and his 2 yr old brother's room, then cleans the other "common areas" (helps with kitchen, living room and play room, and the guest bathroom)

I love my kids :) I'm teachin the 2y/o how to take out the trash.
    Anonymous

• At this age they still need small tasks. When I tell my 6 yr old we need to clean her room. I will tell her to put up her books first and then move on to the next things that need to be cleaned up. At this age it can be overwhelming to go in a room. They may not know where to start. I know for myself. If a room is really messy it can be over whelming to me too. Good luck and I hope you find somethign that works.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• he is sooooooooooooo lazy. He definetly knows where to start and what to do next. If I am going to take his xbox360 away and he gets it back when his room is clean. He can do it. That what I see then........but everytime to do the same??? That bores me and even he is not anymore interested when I take something away. Could reeally use any suggestions what to do.
    JessDoro

Answer by JessDoro at 2:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Sounds kinda mean but it worked, my mom used it on me and both of my sisters, Whatever is not put in it's place is going in the garbage! She literally would get a garbage bag at the end of "clean up time" and check our rooms LOL No just stuffing things in the closets either! Don't just take the xbox away until his room is clean make it a little tougher, make it a few days.
    Anonymous

• My son (6) cleans his room every night before bed. It's not perfect, but things need to be where they belong so we can all walk in there. He does a pretty good job.
    Anonymous

• I think you can start. If my son wants to, he can clean the whole room really well. It's rare though. Teach him how to make the bed and put the toys in a bin or wherever and start with small steps.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It is not too much to ask. My 4 year old boy cleans his own room. It may take a little time for yours to get used to it, since he isn't already, but it's definitely a worthwhile pursuit.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2009