Does anyone have any suggestions for a good replacement for a pacifier?

My daughter is going to be 3 in a week and a half, and still sleeps with her pacifier. I've been told that "cold turkey" is the only way to go... but she still wakes up screaming without it. She already has a treasured teddy bear that she sleeps with, so I'm not sure what else I could get her that could provide her some comfort at night. Any thoughts?

SweetMakenna

Asked by SweetMakenna at 2:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• So, we ended up with the most terrific experience that I could have ever hoped for... we kept telling Makenna that when she turned 3, no more "guk" (her baby term for the brand "Nuk"). On her birthday, she woke up and said, "No more guk for me!" ... and hasn't mentioned it since?!?!
    SweetMakenna

Answer by SweetMakenna at 3:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Cold turkey.....can take a few days. She needs to learn how to self soothe. You are risking serious dental bills if you let her continue with her pacifier.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I cant really offer you any advice on this one...I got lucky with my son...he was 3 and still had his nuk....my husband was in the hospital and we were sitting waiting to see him and my son says mommy Im dont want...so I went to take it bc I thought maybe he got tired of it at the moment..he yells no mommy I throw away...I said ok you throw it away Im not getting you anymore...he walked over and threw it in the trash...and never asked for one again. so its rough to get rid of it. Since its so close to xmas try saying Santa called you or something and said she has to throw it away to be a big girl! see if that works....a little white fib wont hurt her at all!
    Anonymous

• Cold Turkey! Get rid of that thing...your killing her teeth!
    Anonymous

• my dh was 4, and still sucking his thumb when he retired for a nap, or at night. while having our nightly 'storytime', i simply asked him if he saw babies sucking their thumbs, and did he think he was still a baby, or a big boy? of course, he'd been telling me he was a big boy for a while, so he decided on his own (winkwink) that no, he wasn't a baby anymore. he hasn't sucked his thumb since!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Cold turkey...she'll fuss for a few days but she'll get over it and I seriously doubt she'll need therapy when she's 30 because you took her binky away. You need to get rid of that thing NOW. You're ruining her teeth and speech.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2009