my baby is 2 mouth like sleeping on his tummy is it ok to let hime sleep on it?

he also don't like playing on his tummy what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did but only durring the day if on the living rm floor w/ me watching over baby, not at night
    Anonymous

• eh my son is the same age and wont sleep any other way besides on his tummy he's good with head movements goes back and forth so im not concerned i keep him in my room anyways...babies were always put on their tummies to sleep this is just a recent thing they think could cause a problem my sister had a baby 8 years ago and they never told her to put her child on her back..
    Anonymous

• My two boys have both slept on their tummy from birth (or almost). I was scared to death but couldn't do much apart checking them regularly.
    Doctor said to be sure that there was no cigarette smoke in the baby's bedroom, a firm mattress, no blanket and no space between the bed and the mattress. She said that some babies are more at ease on the belly even if it's not the recommended position.

Now my sons are 10 and 2 years old. We'll see what baby #3 will do. :)
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• All 4 of mine were tummy sleepers. None of them ended up with flat heads or the bald patch on the back of the head from back sleeping that way.
    Anonymous

• Both of mine were tummy sleepers :) It's all up to you and how afraid you are the mystical SIDS.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Here's my take: Babies are safest in the position that they most regularly sleep in. A baby who habitually sleeps on her tummy but then is put on her back by a well meaning baby sitter is at higher risk of SIDS. Same with a baby who normally sleeps on his back but is put on his tummy by grandma because she doesn't want him getting a flat head.
    Tummy sleeping promotes deep restful sleep. It helps babies who flail their arms and legs (and wake themselves up doing so) stay asleep.
    As long as their sleep environment is healthy (no smoke, firm mattress, no blankets, bumpers, or soft toys in the bed, and no cracks they can wiggle into) it's pretty safe.
    My son didn't like it until he was six months old, by then I was sure he could get himself out of trouble. My daughter started rolling on to her tummy at 1 week old. That made me nervous! But she has good head control and sleep in a safe place and won't sleep any other way.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It is about what YOU are comfortable with. The reason that babies shouldn't sleep on their stomach is because they have limited head movement. If they get their head face down and can't move it they can suffocate. That's why it isn't recommended for babies to sleep on their belly until they can move their head from side to side without trouble.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• My son wanted to sleep on his tummy and yet HATED 'tummy time'. I didn't let him sleep on his tummy until he could roll over himself, at about 5 months, unless he was napping and I was in the room with him. Also, I gave up on doing the whole 'tummy time' thing. He learned to roll over around 5 months, crawl at 8 months, first step at 10 months, and could fully walk at 12. I wouldn't worry too much about putting him on his tummy.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 6:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I have mixed feelings on this issue, and it's almost exactly what eema.gray said. It makes sense to me that a baby who sleeps better on their stomach is clearly saying stomach is best. It seems more natural for them to sleep curled up in a fetal ball. However, I chose to have mine on their backs. If something happened, I think I could live with my decision this way; not sure about the other way.

My unscientific opinion is that the waterproofing stuff we use increases SIDS. If you put a waterproof mattress cover on the kid's bed, seems like it would be like sleeping on a plastic garbage bag. And since I tend to not like my kids to sleep in plastic bags :) it makes me wonder what really causes death. We don't have waterproof mattress pads on the kid's beds.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• my son slept on his tummy at that age he learned to roll from his back to his tummy I would move him back to his back but he would just roll back on his tummy so I let him sleep that way cause I couldn't be up all night rolling him back on his back he is 3 now and fine
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 9:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2009