is it uncommon for first time mothers to give birth early?

Just curious because my Midwife and a few nurses at the hospital are in awe that im 38 weeks 6 days pregnant and im 3 centimeters dilated and 75% effaced... They said they dont see that often on first time mothers... Why?

My Midwife said most women are still hard and closed... Is it because this is a new thing for their bodies or what?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know the statistics, but I was 2 weeks early with my first (and only) baby, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It is true a lot of women deliver past their due date, but this could also be because the information on the last period was incorrect.
    Anonymous

• It all depends on you. If you have short lengthes between periods. Moms teld to go early. If they are average 28 days it goes either way. If you have longer lengths Moms tend to go late. I delivered my first 9 days ealy and eveyone was shocked. If you have short lengths between your period you ovulate earlier so baby is ready earlier. I'm suprised your midwife does not know that.
    Anonymous

• Not too sure but my water broke at 36w 6d with my first.
    Anonymous

• NOPE.i wasd 4 cm at 28 wks 50%effaced. i hadmy first at 38 wks,second at 37 wks. both my older sister had trheir first before 39 wks. thety also say that first time moms push for 1-2 hrs. my dd vame out in 8 mts. vevryone is different
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Yeah, I was like that when I was that far along with my first and I did not have her until 6 days past my due date. Don't get your hopes up! Just makes the time drag.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I had my son @ 37wks, he's my only one for now anyway! lol, my water broke but not a burst. it was like some one poking a water balloon with a needle, a constant drain. the dr. later broke it completely!! Dont listen to your midwife about that. everyone is different!
    Anonymous

• Yes, it is because it is new for your body. It takes your body a while to realize what it is supposed to do, and that's why second baby's come faster. Your body is like "Ohh yea, I can do this". However, it isn't always that first babies come late either. It depends on the body.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I had my first at 39 weeks..but I was induced. I was already 100% effaced and 3 cm dialated that was on a Tuesday and when I got to the hospital on Friday to be induced I was already 6cm.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• My midwife told me that most of the moms in her practice run late-- like 42 weeks. She told me that because midwives see more "healthy" pregnancies and doctors see more of the "abnormal" pregnancies, midwives are used to women not going early.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009