Anyone read "Reading Lolita in Tehran" or lived in Tehran during the revolution?

I'm reading this book and it's made me very curious to know more about life during that time. You can only learn so much from the facts.

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I read it for a history class a couple of years ago and had read Lolita about a year before that. Having read Lolita first it was interesting to see how differently the women in the book thought of the novel than I did. Also agree it is a good look at how others live and what women in the rest of the world have to go through.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• you should read these comics or watch this movie: Persepolis

the graphic novels were written by Marjane Satrapi, who was a teen during Iran's revolution, it's the story of those years and her later return after years of living in Europe. the film is fantastic, I have yet to read the books. 

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I read it a couple of years ago. Didn't enjoy it as much as the 1 about the American man who established schools for girls in Pakistan (Tea for something or another). That book left a lasting impression., what a wonderful, generous, caring man. I also enjoyed The Kite Runner.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2009