Jesus's birth day

Apparently Jesus was born in March. What is the proof of this? Id love to spout out facts at my family who insists Jesus was born on Dec 25.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, after doing a little googling, I've come to the conclusion that it would be ludicrous for shepherds to take their flocks out during the FREEZING winter months. The bible states that shepherds were watching their flocks when they saw the star when Jesus was born, right? It could not possibly have been in December. It had to have been in a warmer month.

Also, the bible does NOT state ANYWHERE that Jesus was born on December 25th. It was attributed to Jesus by the Catholic Church. December 25th was originally for celebrating the "rebirth" of the sun, IE the Winter Solstice, when the days start becoming longer...IE more sunlight and daylight.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Well actually his birth date has several dates in the air... Fall, Spring and in the Summer.... no one person is for sure to the exact date,
    But what we have learned it is not officially on Dec. 25....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Oh, come on!! Christmas wouldn't be the same in any other season!! I love my white Xmas!
    Anonymous

• You'd be hard pressed to roundly prove he was born in March I'd say. Try showing them how the church came to choosing the 25th of December instead maybe? Some details in this article will help (but there is heaps of info elsewhere on the internet too) http://www.watchtower.org/e/20071215/article_01.htm

Have fun!

CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 2:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• According to the poor confused little girl in my son's 1st grade class who was taught she's supposed to convert everyone, it was yesterday.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I don't know the exact details but I believe the March date is often considered the most likely because of the reason Joseph was in Bethlehem, something like taxes or a census (this detail is fuzzy for me). Historians have documents leading them to the conclusion that it was done in March, so as the story is told they believe that is the month in which it is set. There is also an argument that scripture suggests he was concieved in Nov-Dec so he was probably born in September.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• No. He was born in SEPTEMBER. Sheesh. Use google, its much reliable than most cafemoms :) No offense ladies.

SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• ive also heard it was in late September.

http://www.revneal.org/Writings/jesusbirth.htm

this site is really good & the Dr makes a good case for September.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• theres a couple of clues in the bible:-
    Jesus lived to 33 and a half so we know that he died around nisan 14 which is marc/april so he was born roughly sept/oct
    Also when Mary got pregnant Elizabeth, John the Baptist mother was 6 month pregnant(luke 1 v 26) So therefore John the Baptist was 6month older than Jesus. We know John the baptist as born roughly march/ april according to festivals celebrated when he was born(google this info on internet it is freely availabl). So that makes Jesus born Sept/oct
    loopieann

Answer by loopieann at 4:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• NP: "According to the poor confused little girl in my son's 1st grade class who was taught she's supposed to convert everyone, it was yesterday."

LOL. You would think my DD is a nightmare!!! Seriously. She is a every public school's nightmare! Just last year she gave a Bible study and prayed with 8 kids inside the JC Penny studio to recieve Jesus and go to heaven. She sat them all down, told them about God, heaven, and Jesus. Asked them if they wanted to go to heaven and had them raise their hands and led them in prayer. They were between the ages of 8 and 5 and she was 4 at the time.

I personally, love it. I don't tell her to do stuff like that she just does. She says she wants to be a missionary???

But I am sure that you guys would keep your kids away from us in real life!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2009