How do I convince husband that its time for a cell phone?

My son will be turning 13 in January and I want to get him a cell phone. He uses mine or husbands when he leaves now. I want him to have one for safety issues and not worry about him losing ours. He is very responsible and not really worried about him losing it though. He doesn't have many friends so he rarely leaves the house, like maybe 4 times a month. Thats another issue. My husband says he doesn't need one. How do I get him to realize it is time. I've told him all this plus some and no luck. I hate to get it anyway and cause conflict but I feel very strong about this. Not to mention my husband is his step dad and his real dad is okay with it. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• you don't tell the child that you are really gettig the phone for you so you can keep track of him. The phone actually is for you! the kids just has to carry it around and be sure to set limits on it. yes it is time. good luck
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I don't think it\s time for a cell phone at 13. My dd is getting one on her Sweet 16. I think 13 is early. Buy him one and only let him use it when he's out of the house.
    Anonymous

• If you and his real Dad is ok with it. It should be ok. Who will be paying the cell phone bill? If the Step Dad is not paying the bill. He should not have an issue with it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• My 11 yr old has one and my reasoning was because when practice was cancelled at school or he was at a friends and wanted to come home, all he had to do was call. He has kept up with it for 8 months now and it is perfect so far.
    I did not want him standing outside the school for periods of time without a way to call andlet me know. It took alot of worrying off of me. Just get a phone with very limited minutes and texts or just something to get him by for a while until he is a littel older.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Before we bought our teens boys their own phone, we added an extra line onto ours, and kept it as our "3rd phone"....... They only got to use it with specific permission, and did not call it their phone. It would depend on which boy had what activity and IF they needed it, not wanted it.
    Now, they are 15 and 17, and they each have their own phone. I LOVE being able to get ahold of them. If they are at a friends house, I can call them and not the home phone. Plus, it is free to call each other!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• We have a 13 yr old son, no cell phone. He doesn't realize that things need to be paid for and he will earn the right to have something like a cell phone. If he's at school for homework club, etc he uses the schools phone and calls me. They don't allow them to be turned on at school anyway. When he has a part time job, can help pay for it and is driving age he will be able to get one. I think people think kids are entitled to have things and don't teach them how to earn things. Our children won't live with a sense of entitlement. He's 13 and doesn't go anywhere without an adult, and the responsible people he spends time with have a cell phone he can use if need be.. So IMO your son doesn't need a cell phone.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I'm with hubby. When we were YOUNGER, we HAD to be where we told our parents we were going because they would call said place when we were supposed to be there. Now parents just call the cell phone and assume that we are telling them the truth about where we are or have been. My best friend was so happy when she got her cell cuz she didn't have to worry about being at my house when her parents would call. We could be out ...with boys or some crap and they would just call the cell, haha. GOTCHA.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Teenagers are liars, abusers, and manipulators, don't let em getcha!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Get the kind of phone that can just be used to call a few numbers.No text,no camera,no bells or whistles!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Just go get one. Depending on your cell provider, you may be able to get a free phone and add the line for no cost.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2009