How do I get the house clean now?

So my house is a disater! My husband deployed almost 2 weeks ago and the whole first week I was so upset all I did was make sure the kids had food, drinks and clean clothes on them. Nothing in the house was cleaned. I have been working on it all week but cant seem to get control back. Please give me any advice(be nice) on how to get it under control and keep it that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Make you and your kids a schedule. It does not matter if you are SAHM or a WM, single, married, husband deployed or over the road trucker... I am sure I missed some :) but this is what I did when I felt I was losing all control.
    I made a list of all tasks of every room taht needed to be done daily, weekly, bi -weekly, monthy so fortha dn so on.
    This has been the BEST thing I have ever done and myhouse stays clean and I give myself extra time for everything so I do nto feel like I missed something or screwed up and got behind.
    I know how you feel as my husband was deployed a long time ago (18 yrs ago) and I was young and had noo clue what to do with myself or kids and it was a yucky time. You will get better after another week or 2. Bless your heart!
    There are alot of groups on here for help. I hope you can find that comfortable place in you and get moving!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• flylady.com
    Anonymous

• Clean one room a day really good.

Answer by louise2 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• join the cleaning game group on here- we're all really nice- it is a fun group

do you have someone that would take your kids for the day? I get things really picked up that way- it is much much easier
    Anonymous

• i'm with PP. have someone watch the kids (if you can). put on some music, have a drink to calm down... just one, and then get moving. i do better if i just plug through it. getting it done is great instant gratification.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Clean a room a day. Start with the rooms that aren't used as often, or are easier to clean. That way they'll stay clean longer when you attack the other rooms. If the kids are old enough have them help out. They can do simple things if they're young, like throw clothes in the hamper. Then when you get a room done move on to the next room.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Call a house cleaning service. Then focus on the kitchen, living room, and bathroom. Clean the bedrooms once a week and you should be fine.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 8:24 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• yup, one room at a time.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• When I am feeling overwhelmed like that I find that I can't concentrate long enough to even do one room a day. I set myself up on a schedule to clean for about 15 minutes, then I go do something else and come back to the cleaning. I find I can get a WHOLE lot done in that time. Someone else mentioned flylady.com, which is where I got my idea but then modified it to work for me. Also, if your kids are old enough, have them pitch in for the 15 minutes you are cleaning. You'd be amazed at how much the kids can get done in that time since they know it is only a few minutes! Lastly, when I REALLY can't push myself I clean during commercials while I watch TV. Two minutes spurts can get the dishwasher loaded, unloaded, trash run out, or all sorts of small chores that add up. Good luck, and thank you to your husband for serving our country. Thank you, too, for giving by sharing your husband!
    MrsGreenberg

Answer by MrsGreenberg at 11:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2009