cherry flavored vitamin drops for a 5 week old??

my doctor prescribed vitamin drops for my 5 week old baby- said they were giving them to every baby

they are cherry flavored with a list of ingredients

really? babies are supposed to take these? help! I thought breastmilk was ALL the baby could have.

this has got

glycerin, purified water, polysorbate 80, cherry flavor, sodium hydroxide, sodium benzoate, methylparaben, potassium citrate, caramel

i asked this last week and was hoping for more answers. my SO doesnt think its so bad

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, not all babies are getting them. They recommend them, but it's not necessary. They recommend them in case. I do choose to give my kids vitamin d drops. HOWEVER, they make a pure vitamin d drop, that is just glycerin and the vitamin d. You use just a drop onto your nipple, and the baby sucks it off. It's the size of a water drop. Carlson's makes them. I choose to give vitamin d because I am deficient, so it makes sense that my baby is in the sun as much as me.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• if your baby is breastfeed, the baby doesnt need vitamins. the only vitamin they dotn get from you is vitamin d andofr that justa mts in the sun is good. i threw mine away
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• No, not all babies are given vitamin drops - NONE of mine were. Breastmilk & formula both have all a baby needs, as long as a breastfeeding mom has a good diet & takes a multi-vitamin too. Throw them out and find a new doctor!
    Anonymous

• Neither of mine have or ever will take baby Vit D drops (or multi vitamin drops for that matter). As long as they're nursing, they get everything they need from you. The only tricky part of that is Vit D and kind of depends on your habits and local climate. Here, we get full or partial son 300 days out of the year. I'm willing to go out for 20 to 30 minutes most days, without sun screen. So my vit D levels are more than adequate to meet my needs as well as what my babies need.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I would be changing pediatricians pronto. What lab/blood test did he conduct to determinate if your child is lacking any vitamins?
    Is he/she prescribing vitamins to your child based on a pharmaceutical promotion? Gosh no, have some common sense, don't start pushing medication into your child's system just because a person with a degree insist on it. As a parent you will need to make your own informed decisions regarding your child's health. Me personally, I wouldn't give my baby vitamins unless I saw some evidence that she needed them, period.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Do you know if the vitamins they recommended/gave you contain an ingredient called red 40? or any other color?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i typed all the ingredients listed

he said all the babies were getting them, it is vit d

i do like the doctor
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Parabens cause cancer, don't they? And I know that polysorbate 60 causes infertility in mice. Dunno about 80. I wouldn't do it. Breastmilk is all that baby needs.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Breastfed babies don't need vitamins, just exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I DO give my children ALL NATURAL vits, but they are older. I didn't give my youngest vits until she was around 18 months - 2 years... I breastfed her until she was 2.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009