COPD

My mom was recently diagnosed with this(although she has had it for 10-15 years and never saw a doctor) Has anyone had a loved one have this disorder,or lose someone to it? My mom was hospitalized with pneumonia recently.She had a blood ox of 75! She is home now with constant oxygen,Albuterol treatments,high dose vitamin D,and potassium pills.I want an idea of how long someone can maintain their life when they've reached this advanced stage.she's 65.(smoked for 47 years!)

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Health

• I was a visiting nurse for adults for about a year. I had one patient I will never forget. She was probably about 70 and had been on oxygen at home for 10+ years. She knew everything there was to know about her condition. You know, your mom may have a long time left or a very short time, there's just no way to tell. My prayers are with her and you. Hopefully she isn't smoking anymore with the oxygen around.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• What about the newer drugs I hear about? I would google it or check webmd and look at better treatments. The only respiratory medicine they have given her is albuteral, which in not a maintainance drug. It is for the acute symptoms. The doctor can do a lot better to treat this. One drug that is used for both asthma and COPD is Advair. My husband and oldest daughter have asthma, husband is fairly sever. They both use the Advair and he has been able to go from using the nebulizer for albuteral treatments on a schedual to using a hand held inhailer as need and that's only about once a day.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2009