Do you think its cheating to be a phone sex operator?

I have been tryng to find a job with two main obstacles in mind. First, that I have to pay for daycare. Second, that I have a really useless and old degree coupled with no work experience. Needless to say this is a challenge.
As an operator I would be able to work whenever I chose 24/7. I would also be able to work from home ( since we live in a very small town and I have been looking for jobs in the nearest citites and I could do it while the baby naps) and I wouldnt need to get work clothes or anything like that.
However, when I asked my husband he said its gross and almost like cheating. I just don't know why he cannot get over it and let me do it, expecially because we are so broke! By broke I mean living paycheck to paycheck, not going to Dr.'s or dentist (I cannot even see cause my glasses are broke and cannot afford contacts!). Meanwhile he still spends $6/day for ciggs and more for "relaxing" aka beer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• IMO Yes it is cheating. I wouldnt want my husband off talking nasty to random people and I know he would not want me to either.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Well, no, I don't think it could be considered cheating, unless YOU are getting off on it too, which I kind of doubt... It's not something I could do, because I'd probably be laughing hysterically the whole time, but hey, do what you have to do... If it works for you, go for it!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I don't know if it's "cheating" as much as it's "prostitution". You are sharing yourself sexually with another man. I couldn't
    do it - I only share my sexual life, thoughts, and fantasies with my dh. On the other hand, I do have a single friend who does it and we always laugh about it - she's 50 and quite overweight and we always joke if only the guys knew that they were talking to someone their mom's age . . .! lol

Answer by missanc at 3:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• If you are not having sex with the person you are not cheating. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It's not an appropriate job for a married woman. Even if your husband gives in and tells you can do it, it will eat at him and he will become very frustrted with the situation. It's actually a good thing that he knows he has a problem with it before you do it, because some men think they can handle it and then are very surprised to find that they cannot.

I am saying this with the following experience - my ex-husband persuaded me to become and exotic dancer (stripper). He was convinced it was easy money and he wouldn't have any problems with me doing it. I didn't really want to do it, but I did it anyway because he wanted it so bad. After I started I went through periods where I thought I was ok with it and periods where I hated him for asking me to do it. As time went on he found it less cool and actually became jealous over it.

Unless your family is homeless and starving do not do this. It isn't worth it.
    Anonymous

• Even if you don't consider it cheating do you consider that you may be helping to ruin someone else's marriage? How would you like it if you husband was the man making the call?
    I could never do it, I think it is disgusting. As a pp said, my sexual life, thoughts and fantasies are for my dh only. If your dh is against it then that to me is reason enough not to do it.
    Anonymous

• Anon :45 again - I didn't answer your question - No, I do not consider it cheating if your husband is on board, but it is not a healthy situation either. It may feel like cheating to both of you - you may feel dirty/guilty for doing it, and your husband may feel betrayed by you sharing this type of conversation with others. Don't put yourself in this situation - it really isn't worth it.
    Anonymous

• Not cheating, but not a good idea if the husband doesn't like the idea.

What you SHOULD do is tell dear hubby-poo that if he doesn't want you resorting to these kinds of ideas for money, then he should stop wasting money on cigarettes and beer before you guys start having major problems putting food on the table. Those are two things that can be easily cut and can really kill a budget. I mean, if he's spending $6+ on cigs a day, that's around $180 a month. Double that and add some, and you're looking at $360 or more per month on cigs and beer alone. Bring up those specific numbers with him. And start making a list of other good ways for him to relax that DON'T cost money. Like taking a walk or having a nice, long, hot shower.
    Anonymous

• No, it's not cheating. It's the same as being a stripper or something of that sort. Which isn't cheating either. It's not a situation I want to find myself in, but it's not cheating. It's a profession. Although, prostitution is the ONLY profession of that sort that I would definately consider cheating.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• No i do not believe it is cheating do what you have to, to bring home the bacon.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2009